|This article is about the game. You may be looking for the song.|
|Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?|
|Name||Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!!|
|Release date(s)||November 20, 2012 |
|System(s)||Nintendo DS and 3DS|
Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?!! is a Nintendo DS and 3DS game, based on Adventure Time. It is also available on the Nintendo eShop on the 3DS. It was developed by WayForward Technologies, D3 Publisher, Cartoon Network Interactive, and Pendleton Ward. It was initially announced by Pen on his Twitter page. This is the first Adventure Time video game for the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS hand-held system, and was released on November 20, 2012 in North America. No EU release date has been announced.
In the first licensed Adventure Time video game, Finn and Jake wake up one morning to find their trash stolen by the Ice King. Jake couldn’t care less about half-eaten bananas, crumpled up burrito wrappers, and old chicken diapers – but when they find out the Ice King is using their stolen goods to construct a Garbage Princess, the heroes leave the Treehouse to find out whats going on. Journey through the Land of Ooo in an offbeat adventure and discover perilous dungeons and unimaginable treasures while playing as Finn and Jake in an action-adventure experience.
Cameo in CreditsEdit
|Apple Zombie (Hit Points: 10)||Battle Cubes (Hit Points: 10)|
|Bees (Hit Points: 4)||Big Candy Zombie (Hit Points: 18)|
|Brown Hypno Worm (Hit Points: 6)||Candy Zombie (Hit points:10)|
|Charcoal Rock (Hit Points: 8)||Crystal Guardian|
|Dark Sign Zombies (Hit Points: 14)||Dumb Ice Rock (Hit Points: 6)|
|Dumb Rocks (Hit Points: 3)||Flying Gnomes (Hit Points: 1)|
|Fruit Witch (Hit Points: 6)||Hammer Turtles (Hit Points: 3)|
|Hypno Worms (Hit Points: 3)||Ice Bull (Hit Points: 25)|
|Ice Skeleton (Hit Points: 14)||
Ice Toads (Hit Points: 30)
|Ice-o-pede||Knife Bunnies (Hit Points: 5)|
|Penguins (Hit Points: 1)||Rocks (Hit Points: 3)|
|Sign Zombies (Hit Points: 7)||Skeleton Butterfly (Hit Points: 1)|
|Skeleton Warrior (Hit Points: 14)|
- Donny (Hit Points: 70)
- Chainsaw Bear (Hit Points: 175)
- 100 Gunters (Hit Points: 1 - Clone Gunters) (Hit Points: 69 - True Gunter)
- Marauder Chief (Hit Points: 99)
- Bliblob (Hit Points: 1)
- Marceline (Hit Points: 2000 - vampire form) (Hit Points: 1300 - bat form)
- Ice King (Hit Points: 100)
- Ice King (giant) (Hit Points: 500)
- Lumpy Space Princess (Hit Points: 3000)
- Tree Fort
- House Village
- Evil Forest
- Hot Dog Kingdom
- Tree Trunks' house
- Tree Dungeon
- Fire Kingdom
- Princess Bubblegum's castle
- Candy Tavern
- Cotton Candy Forest
- Duchy of Nuts
- Lemongrab's Dungeon
- Tomb Dungeon
- Choose Goose's Magical Shack
- Marauder Village
- Door Lord's Door
- Mount Cragdor
- Marceline's Cave
- Forest of Trees
- Ice King's Castle
- Snow Golem's House
- Cloud Kingdom
- Banana (found when defeating brown hypno worm RARELY)
- Birthday Cake (grants invincibility and is found in the food room in Princess Bubblegum's castle)
- Carton of Bug Milk (combine this with the Birthday Cake to get the bee, but causes extreme HP loss.)
- Crystal Gem Apple (appeared in "Tree Trunks")
- Everything Burrito (Jake made this in "Conquest of Cuteness")
- Ketchup (Condiment)
- Milkshake (Combine Milkshake with Sea Salt (Condiment) and eat it to regain all your health, plus use the Stars of Frozen Rain attack)
- Pizza Slice
- Royal Tart: may cause paralysis!
- Sea Salt (Condiment) (Combine Milkshake with Sea Salt (Condiment) and eat it to regain all your health, plus use the Stars of Frozen Rain attack)
- Syrup (Condiment)
- Trail Mix (Ice King ate some in "Prisoners of Love")
- Tree Trunks Pie (Tree Trunks has made these in various episodes. Can be made in-game by giving Tree Trunks 3 apples. It can be eaten to restore all health and the description is the pie song that played at the end of "Crystals Have Power")
- Wildberry Jam (Condiment)
- Stars of Frozen Rain (Throw ice shurikens with each attack. Can also be used by eating Milkshake + Sea Salt) (Appeared in the "Chamber of Frozen Blades")
- Ninja Cape (Increase attack + knockback)
- Vorpal Hand (Increase attack speed) (appeared in "Wizard")
- Tiger Claw (Increases attack and lowers speed) (appeared in "Wizard")
- Beautious Wings (Doubles Finn's jump height) (appeared in "Wizard")
- Wad of Cash (can be given to Choose Goose for items)
- Nightosphere amulet (Greatly increase attack but lose HP)
- Habanero' (Shoot fireballs + increase speed)
- Spicy Serum (Shoot fireballs + increase speed) (can be combined from a food and condiment) (Appeared in "Too Young")
- Crystal Eye (grants the user temporary invincibility) (can be combined from a food and condiment)
- Billy Sword (Slows down enemies)
- Cosmic Gauntlet (greatly increases attack power fror a short period of time) (Appeared in "Rainy Day Daydream")
- Glowing Sword (A key item) (replaces Finn's Golden Sword) (Able to chop through Ice Blocks)
- Baby Shoes: Increase movement speed; Increase travel speed (in overworld mode)
- Bee (HP: 4): Temporarily fights at your side (dropped by bees and thought of as taming them) can be gotten by combining birthday cake and bug milk, but it causes extreme hp loss.
- Briefcase: Summon a wave of Business Men
- Gossamer Cloak: Prevents enemy encounters from following you on the overworld.
- Anti-Mind Control Gem: Prevents enemy encounters from spawning in the overworld. (In the show it was used to prevent the Lich from possessing Finn, Jake, and Princess Bubblegum)
- Bomba (Appeared in the videogame "The Guardians of Sunshine" in the episode "The Guardians of Sunshine") Deals 50 damage.
- The Enchiridion (In the show, it was destroyed by Finn in the episode "The Lich." In the game, it can be used to kill any enemy instantly, including bosses.)
In side-scrolling mode:
- Wiggly Arm Attack (a farther attack than Finn's but less damage)
- Big Fist (does more damage and used to smash rock walls)
- Umbrella (allows you to glide and fly across windy areas)
- Ear-Shield (reflects arrows)
- Jake Wheel (can get across water in side-scrolling mode and does damage)
In over-world mode:
- Jake Bridge (get across broken bridges)
- Heavy Jake (grows big and smashes wall)
- Leggey Jake (stretches up to access high areas)
- Boat Jake (move across water)
Different items give Finn status changes. These change Finn's color and have different affects.
- Orange (Tiger Claw increases attack and lowers speed)
- Yellow (Beautious Wings double jump height)
- Grey (Vorpal Hand increases attack speed)
- Black (Royal Tarts may paralyze [slow down movement])
- Flashing (Crystal Eye or getting damaged grants invincibility)
Move Finn and Jake.
- Left or right: Run.
- Down: Crouch.
- Hold down on a thin floor: Drop through thin floor.
- Down + B: Slide attack (in the direction Finn is facing).
Press and hold down to highlight bottom screen options.
- L + A: Use selected item.
- L + R: Switch between BMO's tabs.
Use Jake's abilities:
- Press and hold R on the ground: Ear Shield (must be unlocked)
- Press and hold R in the air: Jake Umbrella (must be unlocked)
Interact with characters or objects.
Makes Finn jump.
Makes Jake attack:
- X: Jake Punch.
- Down + X: Fist Smash (must be unlocked)
- Hold X while running: Jake Roll (must be unlocked)
Makes Finn attack:
- Y + Hold down: Sweep kick.
- Y + Hold up: High punch.
- Hold down + Y in the air: DownThrust (must be unlocked)
- Hold Y, release to attack: Spiral Slice (must be unlocked)
START AND SELECT BUTTONEdit
Pauses the game and skips text.
- If you push the Konami code: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, on the title screen, it will show the Secret Screen with Pen Ward singing with Finn and Jake. This only works on the 3DS version.
- Beat the game once to unlock New Game Plus. You keep all of your loot and STATS upgrades, but all of the enemies (and bosses) have twice the amount of health. You need to collect all of the treasures again though.
- After beating New Game Plus, you unlock the music viewer, allowing you to listen to all of the tracks in the game. However, it seemingly lacks the music heard when fighting Chainsaw Bear and the Marauder Leader.
- After obtaining Jake's Boat, depart from the Red Rock Pass dock leading into the Ice Kingdom. Instead of going straight into the Ice Kingdom, move up and to the right towards the Grasslands, past the Red Rock Island. Soon, you will come in contact with the Grasslands. Move past the first Grasslands dock you see (which should be near a Breakable Jake Wall) and continue moving upwards until you see another dock leading up to a small hill area. There is a chest here that contains the Spiral Slice.
- Combine Milk Shake with Sea Salt (Condiment) and eat it to regain all your health, plus use the Stars of Frozen Rain attack.
- BMO will close his eyes on the touch screen if you have not retrieved the Map of Ooo.
- The actual final boss is Lumpy Space Princess. The last piece of garbage that the Ice King gives back is an ashtray that Lumpy Space Princess made for Finn. She becomes enraged, eats beans, becomes giant, and goes through a space portal. You then get on Lady Rainicorn and follow her through. Due to the fact that Lady automatically deals 25 damage, Lumpy Space Princess can be defeated in 120 hits.
- The Enchiridion can be found only in Lemongrab's dungeon. You must use Beautious Wings in Chet's cell to get up to it. It deals 200 damage to all enemies on screen.
- If you start a New-Game+, all treasure chests that held Wizard Stars now hold Bombas.
- In the path before Lemongrab's dungeon, there is a Phil Face in the bottom left corner near the exit. Walk under the last platform and look to the bottom left.
The gameplay features overworld exploration (in a top view) and dungeon combat (in a side view). Both Finn and Jake are controlled at the same time. Jake isn't feeling motivated to walk or use his powers, so he sits in Finn's backpack and digs out items. You move Finn and push Y to use his attacks, while pushing X uses Jake attacks. Finn has the ability to attack with punches or with his sword and can pick up items and enemies. Jake can Shape Change into a wide variety of things, e.g. bridges and boats and can also grow and shrink. These forms have to be unlocked be talking to certain characters and completing certain tasks. They can both perform "Fist Smash," "The Downward Sword-Thrust" and "The Twirling Death Blossom" moves by finding battle abilities. The game will also feature recurring Adventure Time characters and locations, such as The Grass Lands, The Candy Kingdom, Red Rock Pass and The Ice Kingdom.
The game features new music composed by Jake Kaufman. The soundtrack was made available for the public on December 19, 2012 on SoundCloud.
Eight tracks have lyrics which include:
- Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!!
- Chores and Other Scary Stuff
- You Just Leveled Up MEGAMIXX
- FEAST! FIGHT! BE MANLY!
- Boss Marceline Who's In Charge Here
- It's So Cold
- A Hero is Made
- Finale: Refusing to Refuse
A majority of the tracks on the games soundtrack are exclusive to the 3DS version of the game while the DS version re-uses a tracks on multiple occasions.
The three tracks completely cut from the game are:
The soundtrack consists of a total of 34 tracks.
It was revealed on July 12, 2012, that the game would have a Collector's Edition. It is currently available at Amazon. Gamestop no longer sells them. The Collector's Edition is available for both the DS and 3DS consoles. It includes a steel case cover of the Enchiridion, the Book of Beasts Beastiary, a poster of The Land of Ooo, and a stylus designed after Finn's sword.
- This is Adventure Time's first video game licensed by Nintendo.
- The gameplay is based on the second game in The Legend of Zelda series: "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link."
- The game was mentioned about in the May 2012 Nintendo Power and later detailed the game aspects in the July 2012 edition.
- Pendleton Ward's Twitter posts have mentioned hypothetical ideas about the game.
- In the Nintendo Direct video on June 21, this game was mentioned.
- At the end of the credits, what looks like Finn and Jake confronting the Ice King turns into a gender-swapped version, including Fionna, Cake, and the Ice Queen
- In the game, Finn's Golden Sword is named "Scarlet the Golden Sword" though this has not been mentioned in the TV series.
- The game features characters seen throughout the series.
- If you leave Finn stationary for a while, he will either take off his hat or Jake will cover his eyes.
- This game has released the same day Windows 1.0 released.
- The secret code you can input on the title screen is a reference to the Konami Code, a cheat code that appears in many Konami games.
- Before the battle against Marceline in the third dungeon, the Ice King cuts his conversation with Finn short by saying, "but enough talk, have at you!" After he leaves, if the garbage princess is examined, Jake will remark that the princess is "a miserable little pile of trash." These lines, and the fact that the next boss is Marceline (a vampire), very strongly seems to be a nod to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's opening scene where Richter Belmont confronts Dracula.
- At the end of each dungeon, before the boss, The Ice King will be there with a princess made out of garbage. The princesses get smaller as you go along up to the final dungeon where The Ice King kidnapped Lumpy Space Princess and put a banana peel on her head.
- The glowing sword is similar to the fire sword from Web Weirdos
- Before you enter the tree dungeon, Jake will say It's dangerous to go alone. This is a reference to the first game in The Legend of Zelda series: The Legend of Zelda.
- This is the first piece of official media where Finn explicitly states his love for Flame Princess.
- The cage that The Ice King imprisoned Lumpy Space Princess in at the final dungeon was similar to the one Finn was being held captive in "Storytelling."
- Near the end of the game, LSP threatens to destroy a large reactor found in Lumpy Space. According to Princess Bubblegum, the reactor supposedly played a major role in the Mushroom War and has the capability to obliterate Ooo as well as the entire planet if the reactor is ever destroyed. The reactor is never actually seen in the game.
- Marceline was the strongest boss stronger than Lumpy Space Princess.
- When finn takes his hat off, if the gamer could see clearly, his hair seems to be the same length as in "Beautopia."
Box art and promotional materialsEdit
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Time-steal-garbage-nintendo-3ds/dp/B0081X5TV8?tag=autobuy0c-20
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Time-Steal-Garbage-Nintendo-DS/dp/B007RRFX4M/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1338063913&sr=1-2
- ↑ https://twitter.com/#!/WayForwardTech/status/183201361129779201
- ↑ https://twitter.com/#!/buenothebear/status/183076308291555328
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Time-Garbage-Collectors-nintendo-3ds/dp/B008J16AQ0/ref=pd_sim_vg_1/190-4259468-6671211
- ↑ http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/16/adventure-time-collectors-edition-not-a-gamestop-exclusive/