Adventure Time is a comic book series published by BOOM! Studios, written by Dinosaur Comics creator Ryan North, and illustrated by Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb. The comic book is released monthly, beginning with issue #1 in February 2012.
The comic is canonical with the Adventure Time TV series' story. Adam Muto has speculated that it may take place in a different reality. Either way, the events of the comics have several events irreconcilable with the TV series, mainly the fact that Finn and Flame Princess are still dating in the comics.
Each issue includes at least two comics: The lead story is written by North and drawn in the style of the cartoon by Paroline and Lamb; and one or more backup stories created by an indie comic artist, drawn in their own style.
The main story features small messages at the bottom of many of the pages. This is a trademark of writer Ryan North, whose Dinosaur Comics always contain semi-hidden messages and commentary.
The first storyline in the series is a four-parter by North, split between issues #1 through #4.
List of issues
|Cover||Story||Backup story||Release date|
|Issue 1|| The Lich reawakens and traps Finn and Jake.|
(Part 1 of 4)
|"My Cider the Mountain" by Aaron Renier||February 2012|
|Issue 2|| Finn and Jake are stuck in the Lich's Bag of Holding while Marceline, Princess Bubblegum, and Lumpy Space Princess are stuck, too.|
(Part 2 of 4)
| "Laundromarceline" by Lucy Knisley|
" Issue 2 " by Zac Gorman
|Issue 3|| The Ice King and Desert Princess make an army of Finn and Jakes to help battle the Lich.|
(Part 3 of 4)
|"Bacon Fields" by Michael DeForge||April 2012|
|Issue 4|| With The Lich defeated, The Land of Ooo is restored. The only problem is that it is covered by all the sand from The Bag of Holding & Desert Princess is missing!|
(Part 4 of 4)
|"The Ultimate Party Dip" by Chris Eliopoulos||
Finn and Jake journey into a new part of Ooo. (Part 1 of 5)
"Emit Erutnevda" by Paul Pope
"Ice King Dumb" by Georgia and Chris Robison
|Issue 6|| Jake causes trouble when he messes with Princess Bubblegum's time machine.|
(Part 2 of 5)
|"Level 99" by Anthony Clark||July 2012|
Finn and Jake end up in the future with no way to return home. (Part 3 of 5)
"Time Waits For No One" by Shannon Wheeler
Finn, Jake, and QB try to defend the Candy Kingdom. (Part 4 of 5)
"Happy Birthday Hot Dog Princess!" by Frank Gibson and Becky Dreistadt
Finn and Jake try to return to their own time. (part 5 of 5)
"Fishling" by Chris and Shane Houghton
|Issue 10||Finn and Jake are possessed by the reader thanks to the Ice King's new spell.||
"Hot Deals in the Ice Kingdom" by Jon M. Gibson & Jim Rugg
Finn, Jake, and Marceline enter BMO's Main Brain Game Frame to play "Super Guts Punch 3." (Part 1 of 4)
"The Meaning of Bravery" by Zack Giallongo
Lumpy Space Princess forces her way into "Super Guts Punch 3" which causes BMO to malfunction. (Part 2 of 4)
"The Ice King and His Magical Matchmaking Mini Comic" by Alexis and Andrew
(Part 3 of 4)
"Princess of Rad Hats part 1" by Chris Schweizer
(Part 4 of 4)
"Princess of Rad Hats part 2" by Chris Schweizer
Magic Man tries to be a jerk to the Princesses and Finn and Jake try to stop him.
"GIVE US BACK BMO!" by Jeremy Sorese
|Issue 16||Finn and Jake battle the Ice King in order to save Lumpy Space Princess.||"Opposite Day" by Sina Grace and S. Steven Struble and "Ninja Princess" by Reed, Grant, and Jai Nitz with illustrations by Pranas T. Naujokaitis.||May 2013|
|Issue 17||(Part 1 of 4)||"Silly String Theory" by Jay Hosler||June 2013|
|Issue 18||(Part 2 of 4)||"Publish or Perish"||July 2013|
|Issue 19||(Part 3 of 4)||"Ambitreacherous" by Andy Hirsch||August 2013|
|Issue 20||(Part 4 of 4)||"Grocery Time! - Part One" by Zack Smith||September 2013|
|Issue 21||"Beach Bum Boogie" by Zack Giallongo||October 2013|
|Issue 22||Finn and Jake find themselves in a sticky situation when Princess Bubblegum's experiments searching for the origin of life go horribly wrong.||"Grocery Time! - Part Two" by Zack Smith||November 2013|
|Issue 23||Princess Bubblegum and Marceline race against time to save the inhabitants of Ooo from the Princess' rogue experiment.||"Booty and the Beast" by Jen Bennett||December 2013|
|Issue 24||"A Day In the Life of a Bun" by Kristina Ness||January 2014|
|Issue 25||A love story told from the perspectice of a red gem named Carl - pining for Gemma, a blue gemstone.||N/A||February 2014|
|Issue 26||"Sphagnum Sphagnum" by James the Stanton||March 2014|
|Issue 27||"Jelly Wars" by Eric M. Esquivel||April 2014|
|Issue 28||"Jelly Wars - Part Two" by Eric M. Esquivel||May 2014|
"A Dish Best Served Gross"
Story by Josh Tierney
Art by Michael Dialynas
|Issue 30||To celebrate the 30th issue of her "Marcelzine", Marceline releases a collection of mini-comics written by her friends.||N/A||July 2014|
|Issue 31||"Lemongrab's Makeover" by Sara & Sam Ellis||August 2014|
|Issue 32||TBA||September 2014|
|Issue 33||TBA||October 2014|
|Cover||Story||Backup story||Release date|
|Free Comic Book Day: 2012||
BMO trains to get good at fights, with help from Finn and Jake and Princess Bubblegum
|Laundromarceline (repeat)||May 5, 2012 (Free Comic Book Day)|
|Adventure Time: Cover Showcase||A collection of previous Adventure Time covers packaged into one high-quality special issue.||December 2012|
|Adventure Time: Annual 2013||Contains several stories: "A, You're Adventurous", "A Sword Most Awesome", "No Dogs Allowed", "Dungeons and Desserts", "The Summiteers" and "The Lemon Sea".||May 2012|
|Adventure Time: Summer Special 2013||Contains several stories: "The Desert Treasure", "The Sucker Seeker", "Heart" and "A Penny Burned".||July 2013|
|Adventure Time: 2013 Spoooktacular||Contains several stories: "The Costume Party", "Secret 'Stache", "Halloween Horticulture" and "Bad Girl Gone Good".||October 2013|
|Adventure Time: Winter Special 2014||Contains several stories: "The Snow Hope", "Pups In Peril", "A Sour Winter" and "Eye Scream".||December 2013|
|Original issue||Omnibus editions|
|with main stories||with short stories|
|Issue 1|| |
and Volume 1 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
Sugary Shorts Volume 1
and Sugary Shorts Volume 1 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
|Issue 5|| |
and Volume 2 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
|Issue 10|| |
and Volume 3 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
KaBOOM! Studios has released several spin-off miniseries. After the completion of each miniseries, a trade paperback version (TPB) containing the entire miniseries, as well as a hardcover "Mathematical Edition" with special features has been released (similar to the way the main series has been released in TPB and hardcover formats).
- Adventure Time: Marceline And The Scream Queens
- Adventure Time with Fionna and Cake
- Adventure Time: Candy Capers
- Adventure Time: The Flip Side
- Adventure Time: Banana Guard Academy
- Began July 2014
- Written by Kent Osborne; Art by Mad Rupert
- Summary: Root Beer Guy starts his search for new recruits for the Banana Guard
- TPB planned release date: June 9th, 2015
KaBOOM! Studios has also released a series of standalone original graphic novels.
- Adventure Time Vol. 1: Playing With Fire
- Released May 15th, 2013
- Written by Danielle Corsetto; Art by Zack Sterling
- Summary: Flame Princess joins Finn and Jake on an adventure. The story develops Flame Princess' and Finn's romantic relationship.
- Adventure Time Vol. 2: Pixel Princesses
- Adventure Time Vol. 3: Seeing Red
- Adventure Time Vol. 4: Bitter Sweets
- Released November 5th 2014
- Written by Kate Leth; Art by Zack Sterling.
- Summary: Princess Bubblegum leaves the Candy Kingdom and ventures into the outer limits of Ooo.
The Adventure UnfoldsThe Adventure Unfolds is a fold out comic by Jon Chad limited to 700 copies. It was only available at San Diego Comic Con 2012 for the price of $30. On July 25, Boom Studios began selling it on their website for $40.
- Pendleton Ward made a cover for the first issue of the comic.
- Various of the primary stories contain messages written at the bottom, below the panels, as if a narrator/writer is speaking in a fourth-wall-breaking style. The hardback collection of issues 1~4 retains these messages.
- In addition, issues 1 and 3 of the comic contain messages written by Marceline in a Pigpen cipher. The known letters of the cipher are in the chart to the right. Note that the first section spells out "vampire" and the rest of the letters are apparently in alphabetical order, making it fairly easy to guess the unknown letters.
Advertisements for the comic
Behind the scenes info:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/11/19/adventure-time-comic-series-boom-kaboom-february/
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.comicvine.com/podcast/?podcast_id=117 (00:10:10)
Ryan North: "The book's divided into two parts. There's the part that I'm writing, which is on-model, looks like the show... continuing the adventure part of it. And the other part, [every month] there'll be a stand-alone story done by an indie cartoonist, done in their own style, which I think is really cool."
- ↑ http://ryannorth.tumblr.com/post/23729809967/something-that-comes-up-pretty-often-is-this
- ↑ http://new.spring.me/#!/MrMuto/q/358994005662390868
- ↑ http://www.comicvine.com/podcast/?podcast_id=117
- ↑ http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/15/boom-spins-off-adventure-time-comic-marceline-scream-queens
- ↑ Adventure Time: Marceline and the Scream Queens
- ↑ http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/10/10/adventure-time-with-fionna-and-cake-comic-miniseries-boom-studios/
- ↑ http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/07/09/adventure-time-the-adventure-unfolds-mini-comic-jon-chad-sdcc-exclusive/
- ↑ http://www.boom-studios.com/adventure-time-the-adventure-unfolds-mini-comic-sdcc-12-exclusive.html?SID=d59eph6djol79i6f2nrq612qs7
- ↑ http://www.newsarama.com/tv/adventure-time-pendleton-ward-2-120214.html