Cake the cat is the gender- (and species-) swapped version of Jake the dog in the Ice King's self-written fan-fictions, created by Adventure Time character designer Natasha Allegri. She features in the episodes "Fionna and Cake," "Bad Little Boy," "The Prince Who Wanted Everything," and "Five Short Tables" and is mentioned by the Ice King in "King Worm" and "Mystery Dungeon."
Cake travels with Fionna, and Lord Monochromicorn is her boyfriend. She has Stretchy Powers and can morph her body just like Jake. As a cat, she also possesses the ability to see in the dark. The fur on her tail stands on the end (or "frizzes out") when there is danger around or when she gets excited (e.g., when Lord Monochromicorn speaks to her).
She doesn't look much like Jake, aside from their body proportions. She has white eyes in which the black pupils become circular if surprised, excited, shocked, or scared. She has a cat muzzle and a small nose (compared to Jake's), cat ears, white fur with many coffee colored spots, and a large, bushy tail. When Fionna and Cake race Prince Gumball and Cake runs up the mountain, she has claws on her front paws. In the Fionna and Cake miniseries, Cake's eyes will go back to her original prototype blue color.
Fionna the human is Cake's best friend and adopted sister. She gives advice in dealing with Prince Gumball. She is very protective of Fionna.
Lord Monochromicorn is Cake's boyfriend. In "Fionna and Cake" she refers to him as "gorgeous" and gets excited when he responds (in Morse code) by saying "Hey." He races her while carrying Prince Gumball.
Ice Queen has mixed feelings about Cake. According to some drawings, she is Cake's former owner.
Marshall Lee often messes with Cake, but they seem to be on good terms. Some official artwork made it seem as though Cake was afraid of him, but when they were show together in the episode "Bad Little Boy," she showed no fear towards him until he kidnapped her. And even after that, she quickly acted to shield him from the sun after he got injured, so their relationship seems to be a friendly one, similar to Jake and Marceline's relationship.
Flame Prince Edit
Cake and Flame Prince get along very well in the Fionna and Cake comics. Although for some reason in "Five Short Tables", she appear to show some dislike or annoyed toward him.
- Cake's name is a play on Jake's name and is also based on Natasha's cat, Pancake.
- Cake knows Morse code because she can understand Lord Monochromicorn, similar to how Jake can understand Lady Rainicorn, who speaks Korean.
- Fionna has taught Cake to change form on command, including a "morning star mode," which is similar in appearance to and draws its name from a medieval morning star.
- Cake plays a hammered dulcimer, as opposed to a viola.
- In the same episode and certain artworks by Natasha Allegri, she seems to hate getting wet, which is true for many cats.
- In the Tamil dubbing version of the episodes, Cake is male.
- Natasha Allegri created artwork which shows Cake and Ice Queen together in an affectionate setting. She states that Ice Queen raised Cake from a kitten, though this sub-plot was not used in the "Fionna and Cake" episode.
- In the storyboards for "Fionna and Cake," she is seen to have jowls similar to Jake's.
- In the Russian dub, Cake's first voice was a man (also the voice of Ice King) and the other characters refer to her as a "he." Also her name was translated literally and pronounced as "Пирожок" (Pie in Russian). In the Russian dub of "Bad Little Boy," however, Cake was voiced by a woman. Cake was voiced by a man in the two episodes of the Polish dub, but in the other two episodes, she was dubbed by a woman (in the theme song she is correctly referred to as a female cat).
- Cake is the gender-swapped version of Jake, but she is unique among the gender-swapped characters in also being the "opposite" species; if she was only gender-swapped, she would be a female dog.
- Like Jake's incarnate, Shoko's Tiger, Cake is a cat.
- Cake's Shape Shifting powers appear to be more defined than Jake's powers, as she can transform almost instantaneously, and can also change into weapons, something that Jake has been shown to be nearly incapable of doing, as seen in Mortal Folly.
Appearances in other mediaEdit
- In Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW!, an ice robot version of Cake is fought as a boss alongside the Ice King and an ice robot version of Fionna.
- Cake is available as a suit in the Adventure Time game Flambo's Inferno.
- Cake appears in Adventure Time Battle Party as an alternate outfit for Jake.
- Cake is the main protagonist in Cake's Tough Break 2.
- Cake makes a minor cameo in LEGO Dimensions as an alternate skin for the Jakemobile.
|The full image gallery for Cake may be viewed at Cake/Gallery.|