| Season 3, episode 25|
|Airdate:||February 6, 2012|
|Story:|| Mark Banker|
| Written &|
| Pendleton Ward|
"Dad's Dungeon" is the twenty-fifth episode in the third season of Adventure Time. It is the seventy-seventh episode overall.
Finn, BMO and Jake are at the boat of the tree fort, telling Jake what they want him to turn into. Finn suggests a cheetah and a fart, BMO suggests a cookie and an external hard drive. Jake then transforms into a farting cheetah. Sparkles suddenly appear on the side of the house's roof. Finn and Jake try to squish them. The sparkles then lead them to a Holo-Message Player. They turn it on to see that it is a message left from their father, Joshua, who built a dungeon for them as babies.The Demon appears and demands Joshua to give his blood back. Joshua casts the demon away with a chant. Joshua secretly tells Jake that it's to toughen Finn up, while Finn covers his ears. Joshua explained how to get there, and also said that it would be really hard to finish the dungeon. They go to an unknown place where the Dumb Rock was, as explained in the video. They move the rock out of the way of the entrance. When they enter they're attacked by a Hot Dog Monster and a Hamburger Monster, after defeating them, they come to another prerecorded message where Joshua tells Jake to call Finn a whiny baby. They come across 2 paths, where one is a Flower Path and a disgusting monster path. They take the flower path because Jake says that the monster is "super gross". The monster is saddened by this but Finn kindly reassures the monster, telling that they just said that because they are his bro's, and that bro's are real with each other. Finn adds "You're gross, brother. Take a bath." to "amplify" their truthfulness.
In the Flower Path, Finn asks Jake what their dad said. Jake tells that Joshua is surprised that a whiny baby like Finn made it that far. Finn is then puzzled; asking Jake why Joshua keeps saying things like that. Jake is forced to tell Finn that it's because Finn cries like a baby and that he's whiny. The Fruit Witches then appear and try to get Finn to eat an apple, and Finn almost does, but Jake knocks the apple out of his hand and feeds it to one of the fruit witches. The cursed apple causes the Fruit Witch to have vines crawl out of her mouth and eyes, wrap around her, and turn into a giant apple. The two other Fruit Witches begin to eat the Fruit Witch, while Finn and Jake escape. The Fruit Witches begin to chase them up a stone wall, but Jake farts, knocking them out.
Jake tells Finn what is really happening when they go into the final passage. They watch the tape as Joshua explains that he is finishing the last chamber of the dungeon. He explains that he is trying to fit a monster into a pit he dug. In the middle of what he is saying, two, long fingers with huge claws slowly sneak out of the entrance to the chamber and grab him. Joshua then gets pulled in the chamber, then Finn and Jake run into the room. While Finn attempts to get the sword, Jake discovers more Holo-Message tapes. He plays the final one informing him to play it for Finn when he finishes the dungeon. Behind Finn, two giant hands reach from the darkness, and Finn is slapped by the left hand. Finn is flown across the room, and the Evil Monster crawls out of the darkness, revealing himself. When Finn expresses the doubt within himself because of their father's words, Jake plays the tape to Finn revealing Joshua telling Finn he made the dungeon for him as well as expressing his pride for him. Having the confidence in himself restored, he rips the sword from its place and slays the monster. They leave the Dungeon with Joshua's sword when the demon appears. Jake replays the message where Joshua cast the demon away with the spell "Kee Oth Rama Pancake." The episodes ends with the two saying their dad was "cool".
- Blood Demon
- Dumb Rock
- Evil Monster
- Fruit Witches
- Hamburger Monster
- Hot Dog Monster
- Lady Rainicorn (cameo, Jake's imagination)
- Ugly Monster
- Snail (cameo)
- When Jake says "What do you want to see next?" Snail is on the right of the boat.
- The Monster guarding the demon blood sword resembles a large Lub Glub.
- The chant Joshua says to banish the demon is "Kee Oth Rama Pancake."
- When Joshua found Finn as a baby in "Memories of Boom Boom Mountain," he was already grown, but in the hologram he was still small.
- In the holo-message, pictures of cats are hung on the wall behind Joshua.
- When the Giant Monster slaps Finn away from the sword, the key on its wrist disappears and reappears in the next scene.
- This episode was originally called "Dungeon," sharing its name with the season one episode, but it was changed to be "Dad's Dungeon."
- Originally, this episode was going to be story-boarded by Pen alone, but Adam Muto and Natasha Allegri helped out when he didn't have enough time.
- Originally, this episode was going to include Shel Silverstein's cover of "A Boy Named Sue", but it fell by the wayside.
- On iTunes, this episode along with the episodes "Another Way," "Ghost Princess," and "Incendium" are incorrectly labeled as part of season four.
- Finn and Jake are seen as babies at the same time even though Jake's age has been said to be twenty-eight in "magical dog years."
- The key to the lock around the sword was on the Evil Monster's wrist. Finn actually broke the lock instead of taking the key from defeating the monster.
- The reason Joshua made the dungeon was because baby Finn was too "soft," and cried when squeezed. Note his disapproval of baby Finn's whining in the first hologram, where he squeezes both Jake and Finn (Jake merely giggles).
- In the last hologram before the last chamber, Joshua's messages could only make sense if he knew ahead of time that Finn and Jake would have chosen the flower path. That or the other (gross) path would not lead them to the end of the chamber.
|See Full Storyboard|