"Her Parents" is the twelfth episode in the second season of Adventure Time. It is the thirty-eighth episode overall.
When Lady Rainicorn's parents come to visit, Jake fears they will be full of hatred due to past difficulties between their races. To appease them, Jake pretends to be a Rainicorn and tries to get Finn's assistance. This threatens their friendship in the process.
Finn, Jake, and BMO are eating eggs for breakfast when Jake gets a phone call. Lady Rainicorn is worried about introducing Jake to her parents during lunch. Jake decides to send a message by prism-gram to ask Lady's Parents if they want to come to the Tree Fort early. Lady's Parents send a message back saying that they agree. As Jake prepares to meet them, Finn asks him why Lady is worried about introducing him. Jake tells Finn that it might have to do something with the Rainicorn-Dog Wars. He says that there were terrible wars between Rainicorns and dogs for territory in the Crystal Dimension. Finn says that Lady's parents are probably full of dog hatred from the war times.
Since this is what Finn and Jake thought was true, Finn came up with a plan about making Jake look like a Rainicorn. Finn paints Jake with condiments like ketchup and mustard and also paints the house's interior with Rainbow Jelly. Jake forms into a Rainicorn and realizes that their plan might fail. As he panics, Lady's parents arrive. He opens the door and sees that they are wearing universal translators so they can communicate in English. Ethel Rainicorn screams, frightening Jake, but says that her daughter finally met a handsome Rainicorn. Bob Rainicorn agrees and Jake decides to let them in.
Lady's parents notice Finn and thinks that he is an odd-looking goblin. Jake tells them that Finn is a human, making them believe that he is rich. They start playing Rainicorn games such as Cameladabalawabapp with Jake, but Jake gets Finn's help to make him look like a Rainicorn. Finn gets overworked and injured in all the games, making him really angry. Jake begs Finn for help and forgiveness. Finn forgives Jake, who soon met up with Lady's parents. They decide that it is time for lunch, and say that they're ready to "break out" their picnic baskets, but Jake tells them that they're his guests and he should provide the food.
Jake asks Finn to make lunch. Finn agrees and Jake tells Lady's parents that Finn is a little raw but has great taste (he means in cooking). Finn returns with the food, but Lady's parents try to eat him instead, and say that he has "great taste" (as in flavor). Jake becomes furious, grows, and tells them that he is a dog and to leave Finn alone. Lady's parents become happy and start singing. Jake becomes confused, but sees Lady Rainicorn. She rushes in and explains that her parents are bananas for dogs because a dog saved her dad in the war. Lady's parents apologize to Finn for trying to eat him and eat soy people instead during lunch. Jake tries the food and tells Finn that it is delicious. The episode ends with Finn biting a piece of soy people and smiling.
- Ethel tells Bob, "Our son-in-law must be filthy stinking rich to afford a human butler," but according to Bob, humans were thought to be extinct.
- The picture of Bob and the dog shows that the dog is in handcuffs, despite having saved Bob's life.
- In the promo art, Lady Rainicorn's parents are wrapped around BMO; however, BMO does not play a major role in this episode.
- Finn makes a PHIL FACE right before he tells Jake his plan.
- In spite of Jake not even knowing Lady's parents before, there are puppets of them in "The Decorating Song."
- The prism-gram Jake wrote said: 무지개콘 선생님과 사모님께, 47 무지개 길. 점심에 한시간 일찍 와주세요. 나는 애완 거북이가 없어요. 제이크 드림." Which translates to: "To Mr. Rainicorn and Mrs. Rainicorn, Rainroad 47. Please come here one hour early for lunch. I don't have a pet turtle. From Jake."
- When Finn performs the traditional Rainicorn rain dance, Bob and Ethel get insulted. This may be because Finn is acting in a stereotypical manner, which could be offensive to them.
- As Finn brings in the cheese cubes for snacks, one of the cubes resembles a small, cat-like creature.
- Despite being aired as the twelfth episode of Season 2, it appears as the ninth episode on the Complete Second Season DVD and Blu-ray, switching places with "The Other Tarts."
- When Finn said "Come on, lets powder our noses," it is a reference to applying make-up, and has been used by women as an excuse to escape a situation in order to talk privately.
- When Lady Rainicorn's parents are looking at Finn and Jake's house, an object similar to a Nintendo Entertainment System is seen to the left of Finn.
- Sugar bears might be a reference to gummy bears, a type of candy.
- Some of the mustard splats resemble the GIMP video player icon.
- When Jake says "Hey, guys. You ready to get this game goin' again?", his mouth is not synced to his dialogue.
- When Jake was writing the prism gram to Lady's parents, he was writing from right to left, instead of left to right.
- This episode was previously titled "Meet the Parents."
This episode was censored in some countries. See Censorship of Adventure Time for more information.
|See Full Storyboard|