"Lady & Peebles" is the nineteenth episode in the fourth season of Adventure Time. It is the ninety-seventh episode overall.
Princess Bubblegum and Lady are trying to find Finn and Jake who have been missing for three weeks after battling with the Ice King. Lady discusses her apprehensions while Princess Bubblegum makes some tea with her Tea robot. Bubblegum then tells her that the Ice King is not a major threat and with science on their side, they have the advantage. Lady and Bubblegum then fly off into the black ice cave where she cannot get any signal on her GPS and relies on her heart signature machine where three heart signatures are detected, thought to be Finn, Jake, and Ice King. She also sees several hearts on the monitor, but dismisses them. They both go into a realm where they are attacked by an army of evil hands. They escape, and Bubblegum hears the Ice Kings voice through an air vent. Bubblegum tells Lady to proceed, using the heart signatures as navigation. They are nearly crushed by an enormous tongue, and Lady flies into another room. Much to their surprise, giant eyes on the wall open and shoot laser beams. Lady is hit and badly injured, unable to fly.
Bubblegum carries Lady into a dark passageway. After noticing that she is near Finn and Jake, she finds Ice King on the floor, with a hole in his chest and what seem to be veins spread on the floor. Bubblegum then drops the heart monitor in surprise as Ricardio reveals himself to be the real culprit. He throws Finn and Jake on the ground in front of Bubblegum, who are poisoned by Zanoits. Ricardio reveals that he had spent his time in Ice King's body using his tissue to make his new body. He then recalls on how he only wanted Bubblegum's heart last time, and this time, he wants "the whole package." Ricardio takes Lady from Princess Bubblegum and ties Lady in a knot, throwing her in a corner after that. Ricardio then leans against the princess and asks her to marry him. Bubblegum agrees to marry him if Ricardio can beat her in a hand-to-hand combat. Bubblegum angrily dismisses Ricardio's advances and then tears his limbs apart. She kicks him in the face and warns him to never return. Ricardio escapes into the shadows.
Two days (and another day for the antidote) later, Finn, Jake, Ice King, and Lady Rainicorn are healed, in the Candy Kingdom's Castle's Hospital. Finn wakes up, freaks out that Ricardio has returned and is in the black ice cave. Princess Bubblegum tells Finn that everything was taken care of and shows Finn and Jake that she made a new heart for Ice King out of Ricardio's sinews, toffee and maracas. She walks over to Lady Rainicorn and apologizes for putting her through danger, saying that she "saw it [the five small dots next to Lady's] on the heart monitor" and she "didn't know." The episode ends with Lady tearfully saying "I am pregnant!" in English to a surprised Jake. He responds, "I'm-- puppies?!"
Lady's translated lines
- There's a difference between the noodle that Lady Rainicorn had taken in the episode and the storyboard. On page 15 of the storyboard she says "vermicelli," which is a kind of spaghetti. But in the episode, she says "Vietnamese" (월남 [Wol-Nam] (越南, Korean pronunciation of Chinese-written name of Vietnam)). It is either a translation error or an intended change.
- This is the first episode where Princess Bubblegum and Lady Rainicorn are the main characters.
- This is the first time Princess Bubblegum was seen fighting in hand-to-hand combat.
- Lady Rainicorn speaks English without using a Universal Translator for the first time.
- Ricardio briefly calls Ice King "Simon," a reference to Ice King's real name of "Simon Petrikov."
- "Peebles" is a nickname for Princess Bubblegum.
- In the storyboard, the Ball Blam Burglerber (Princess Bubblegum's primary weapon in the episode) is named the "Ball Buster" and looks like a revolver.
- It is revealed that Lady Rainicorn speaks to Princess Bubblegum in formal Korean, despite being very close. Though this may be due to PB being of royalty.
- Ricardio returns for the first time since his appearance in "Ricardio the Heart Guy." He alludes to his past motive to cut out Princess Bubblegum's heart.
- Young Princess Bubblegum from "Too Young" is seen in the title card.
- In the promotional art, Lady Rainicorn is seen with some orange stripes, although in the show she has not been seen with orange stripes since the animated short.
- When Princess Bubblegum says "I know a thing or two about building a body out of bio-mass" while fighting Ricardio, it is a reference to her creation of Goliad, the Earl of Lemongrab, Stormo, Lemongrab 2 and reverting herself back to her eighteen-year-old self in "Too Young."
- Zanoits, which were first mentioned in "Ricardio the Heart Guy," are used to poison Finn and Jake.
- Lady Rainicorn talks about her dream of being attacked by half-dead corpses and how it had actually happened twice, referring to the zombies in "Slumber Party Panic" and "From Bad to Worse."
- Lady Raincorn reveals she is pregnant with her and Jake's children who are later born in "Jake the Dad" and it was mentioned about them having kids in "Paper Pete."
- On the guide for Cartoon Network, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS, and DIRECTV, the title for the episode is misprinted as "Lady and Pebbles." The title was later corrected to "Lady and Peebles."
- When Ricardio tosses Finn into the scene, the letters on his bucket read "ZANOTIS" for a few frames just as he hits the ground. Luckily, the letters on Jake's bucket do not read "ZANOTIS" for a few frames just as he does the same.
- Ricardio's right leg was still attached to him when Princess Bubblegum snatched it off.
- There are continuity errors regarding the eyes that attack Princess Bubblegum and Lady Rainicorn.
- The shoulder pads disappear from Princess Bubblegum outfit after she says "If you can beat me."
- When Ricardio reveals his new body, Princess Bubblegum, Ice King and the heart monitor have moved and Finn and Jake that were next to Ice King disappear. Ice King moves for a second time when he is seen behind Ricardio holding Lady Rainicorn.
- After Ricardio finishes telling how he built his new body, the heart monitor disappears.
- Before Finn woke up, there was a table next to him instead of a bed that is shown later. Also, the stretcher Ice King was dancing on moves.
- The interior of the cave with its human body parts as an enemy is similar in premise to the 1966 movie Fantastic Voyage.
- Ice King's "cuchi cuchi" dance is the same as the signature move of Spanish born actress, singer, and guitarist Maria Rosario Pilar Martinez Molina Baeza, better known as Charo.
- Ricardio calls Princess Bubblegum "Valkyrian," which pertains to the Valkyrie in Norse mythology.
- Princess Bubblegum's use of a heart monitor to track and locate Finn and Jake is similar to the tracking device in the film Alien.
- Ricardio's new appearance and body appear similar to Majora's Incarnation in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- In the promotional art by Rebecca Sugar, Princess Bubblegum is shown wearing an outfit and sword similar to Utena's from the anime Revolutionary Girl Utena.
- Ricardio uses his voice actor George Takei's iconic "Oh my!"
- In the beginning, when Princess Bubblegum used her heart signature machine to locate Finn and Jake, there are two regular-sized heart signatures on the screen (Lady Rainicorn and herself), but five additional ones near one of the regular heart signatures, indicating that Lady Rainicorn has five unborn children. This was confirmed in the episode "Jake the Dad," where Lady birthed T.V., Jake Jr., Viola, Kim Kil Whan and Charlie.
This episode was censored on Cartoon Network Australia. See Censorship of Adventure Time on Cartoon Network Australia for more information.
|See Full Storyboard|