Lady Rainicorn is a female Rainicorn and is Princess Bubblegum's royal steed, best friend, and companion. She is also Jake's girlfriend, and sometimes follows Finn and Jake on their adventures. She speaks only Korean, using English only when equipped with a universal translator device (however, she is shown to have spoken a bit of English in "Lady & Peebles" "I am pregnant!"). Princess Bubblegum, Lady's children, and Jake are the only other beings in the Land of Ooo, besides Lady's parents, that are shown to understand Korean. Finn directly refers to the language she speaks as Korean in "The Pit." In "Lady & Peebles," Lady revealed that she is pregnant; this was confirmed by Princess Bubblegum. In the episode "Jake the Dad" she becomes a mother to five rainbow puppies.
In the version of the program that is broadcast in Korea, Lady Rainicorn's dialog – along with that of all the other characters – is in Korean, but the narrative nonetheless presumes her to be speaking a different language from the other characters, and her voice has both reverberant and polyphonous qualities added to it in order to differentiate it.
Somewhat interestingly, the exact phrasing of Lady Rainicorn's lines often varies somewhat between the American and Korean versions of the program. For instance, in the American version of the episode "Jake Suit," when Jake arrives at their home while controlling Finn's body, Lady Rainicorn asks Jake in Korean, "Why are you in Finn's body," while in the Korean version of the episode, she asks of Jake in the same line of the same scene, "Why are you in Finn's throat?"
Lady is a long unicorn like creature. Her body shares the same colors as a rainbow (excluding orange): red, yellow, green, blue and violet. She has a blonde mane, and big round eyes the same as Jake's. She also has a single white, sharply pointed horn. Her mother has a long body like hers, unlike her father. This means that she inherited her length from her mother, since in the episode "Her Parents" her mother and father do not find it odd that Jake can stretch or is long like the females before they know he is a dog. In "Five More Short Graybles" and in "Up a Tree," Lady sported a "baby bump" around the middle of her body, indicating her pregnancy.
Lady has the ability to fly, phase through walls, and can use her horn to change the color of anything she wants. In the episode "My Two Favorite People," Lady Rainicorn explains to Finn that she can fly because her body can intercept beams of reflected light from the sun and "dance around" on them. In the same episode, she is shown to live in a stable in the Cotton Candy Forest. Like her parents, she can fire a chromatic light beam from her horn, which seemingly hurts. Also, Lady can stretch longer or shorter as you can see when she lands. She may have limited Stretchy Powers. It is revealed in "The Creeps" that she can phase through walls and carry people while phasing. People can phase through her body, also shown in "The Creeps." She can also play the viola, like her partner Jake.
Personality and traits
Lady is laid-back and likes to interact with Jake and Princess Bubblegum. She is considered Princess Bubblegum's companion, like Jake is Finn's companion. She does not speak Korean in the original short; she only makes soft cooing sounds (or, near the beginning, hysterical screaming coos). Jake understands what she says when she talks to him, and she believes she is smarter than Jake. She may also have a fondness for power rings, which she wears by phasing them into her body since she lacks fingers. Jake calls her "The Rowdy Queen," saying that she can do anything.
Lady, unlike both of her parents, does not wear a universal translator device. It is worth nothing, since Lady understands English, but either barely speaks it or chooses not to. This is obvious because of the fact that neither Jake nor Princess Bubblegum speak Korean very often when talking to her. Though in the episode "My Two Favorite People" Jake translates Finn's jokes to her from English to Korean. The reason Jake doesn't translate Lady's joke to Finn was because it was about the two of them running naked through a farmers field and not because it doesn't translate well to English.
Bob and Ethel
Bob Rainicorn, Lady's father, who is married to Ethel Rainicorn, Lady's mother, appear in "Her Parents" visiting Jake. Bob is very impressed with "Rainicorn" Jake. Ethel is very shy to everyone but Jake, Bob, and Lady. She referred to Jake as her and Bob's future son-in-law.
In "Lady Rainicorn of the Crystal Dimension," Bob and Ethel show up in a flashback while Lady is living with Lee to offer her groceries; after Lee gets them to leave, Ethel wonders what Lady sees in him. Later, when Lady tells them she is going to flee the Crystal Dimension with the Crystal Mergence of Destruction and might not be able to come back, Bob and Ethel are mainly worried that she might need groceries or an extra purse, and once she is gone, express relief that this means she is no longer going out with Lee.
The pups seem to respect her, because they came inside when she called them. Lady obviously cares for them deeply, cooing over them while playing with the pups in the house. She seemed to be aware of the pup's abilities before Jake was. The pups names are T.V., Charlie, Viola, Kim Kil Whan, and Jake Jr..
Lady was particularly close with T.V., who did not move out like the other pups did; however, she showed concern in "The Diary" that he was not getting out enough and encouraged him to get a job in "Lady Rainicorn of the Crystal Dimension." T.V. was impressed by her fierceness battling Lee in that episode, and decided to remain in the Crystal Dimension to learn to be "awesome" and "independent" like her, though so far this has only consisted of his moving in with Lady's parents.
Lady is usually seen with or near Princess Bubblegum in the Cotton Candy Forest in the Candy Kingdom. In the animated short, she shows great concern when the princess is abducted by Ice King, and even tried to rescue her from him. She is sometimes described as the princess' pet. In "What Have You Done?," Lady flew the princess to the Ice Kingdom so she could ask for Ice King's help in ending the plague in the Candy Kingdom, and showed great disgust at him when he mistook their pleas for help for flirting. Lady even speaks to him at this time, saying "Verily, you are a creature unworthy even of my lady's disdain." When Lady got injured by the eyes in "Lady & Peebles," Princess Bubblegum showed great concern for her, and even carried her on her back rather than leaving her behind. This shows that they connect and have a deep friendship.
In the beginning of episode "My Two Favorite People," Lady Rainicorn and Finn's relationship is awkward because of the language barrier. Attempting to fix this, she helps Finn and Jake recover the universal translator device at the bottom of a lake guarded by Lake Knights. At first, Finn is worried that she is "too sweet" for the deadly adventure, but is quickly impressed by Lady Rainicorn's ability to fight. Finn also finds the translator's 'Old Man' voice option amusing, so he and Lady soon become friends. Jake gets rid of the universal translator device, but any persistent issues Finn has with understanding Lady Rainicorn have yet to be mentioned.
On the official website in Lady's description, it says Jake is her boyfriend and that they get along so well because of their common interest in the viola. This relationship began in the short when he and Lady Rainicorn were flirting and sharing interests. At the beginning of "Slumber Party Panic," she is shown being playfully chased by Jake, and later in the episode, they both seem to very much enjoy playing "Seven Minutes in Heaven" (which is a game where two people are locked in a closet together to kiss for 7 minutes).
In "My Two Favorite People," Lady recalls a time when she and Jake ran naked through a farmer's field, causing Jake and herself to blush which may indicate some level of intimacy in their relationship. In "My Two Favorite People," Jake is torn between his desires to go adventuring with Finn and hanging out with his girlfriend. Lady later says she loves Jake "because he's an idiot" and that he makes her "feel like a genius."
In "Video Makers," Jake gets very jealous when Mr. Cupcake flirts with Lady and becomes violently protective of her. The relationship appears to be rather serious, as he also was worried about his impression on her parents and even went to say he was studying Rainicorn history for their future children, which he did in "Paper Pete" to the point where he was so obsessed that he refused to help or acknowledge Finn's troubles, though he eventually gave up the information having gone way over his head. Lady's mother Ethel referred to Jake as hers and Bob's future son-in-law, hinting that she can see them getting married.
In "Go With Me," Jake takes her to the movie night and they ended up making out through the whole movie night.
In the episode "Burning Low," Jake explains to Finn about "tiers" in relationships and is talking about his relationship with Lady Rainicorn in the process. Jake's implications in the explanation indicate that he is very intimate with Lady.
In "Lady & Peebles," Lady reveals in English that she is pregnant. In "Five More Short Graybles" she sports a baby bump on her belly when Jake put his thumb in it making her kiss him. In "Up a Tree" she is with Finn and Jake having a picnic. Later in the episode he takes her home as she kissed him. They have 5 children together.
In "The Pit," Finn admits that he does not understand if Jake and Lady are married or not. He also discovers a number of intimate video scenes Jake taped for Lady, which he quickly fast-forwards over.
When Lady lived in the Crystal Dimension, she had a rebellious boyfriend named Lee whom her parents detested. She would follow him on his schemes to prank dogs. She broke up with him after he went too far by trying to break into a military dog labyrinth and stealing a crystal sandwich.
The ex-couple met again after T.V. ate the crystal sandwich which Lee tracked down. Lee tried to convince her to be his girlfriend but she was obviously uninterested.
Mr. Cupcake tries to impress Lady Rainicorn by flexing his muscles in front of her in "Video Makers." Although she blushes, she tells Jake not to take it seriously.
- As opposed to being a royal title. 'Lady' is, in fact, her actual name.
- Lady's toy version, as seen in "All the Little People," has a different color scheme than she normally has.
- In the Tamil dubbing episodes, Lady Rainicorn speaks in Malayalam (a language similar to Tamil), so the viewer can sometimes understand whats she's speaking.
- In one room of the Princess Bubblegum's castle, there are two pictures of Lady Rainicorn on the wall; one of her upper half, and one of her lower half.
- Two Rainicorns (both of which look like Lady) appear in the Double Rainbow promo.
- In "The Real You," Princess Bubblegum is seen in the beginning with a yellow t-shirt with a red Rainicorn on it.
- Lady Rainicorn has a gender-swapped counterpart in the Ice King's fan-fiction: Lord Monochromicorn.
- Her favorite drink is iced latte as shown in "Video Makers."
- In "My Two Favorite People" Jake refers to her as "the rowdy queen."
- In "Apple Thief" Jake cooks Finn traditional Korean food that Lady Rainicorn taught him how to make.
- Despite being based on a rainbow, Lady Rainicorn's body does not display any orange, but in the animated short and in the promotional art of Lady & Peebles she had orange on her body.
- In "Burning Low," Jake implies that her stomach is 15 feet long.
- In "Card Wars," it is revealed that Lady Rainicorn used to play Card Wars with Jake, and it made her mad that Jake always won and wanted to do nothing but play it.
- She can speak some English words, as shown in "Lady & Peebles":"I am pregnant!"
- As shown in "Lady & Peebles," five small dots and two larger dots appear on the heart monitor. This shows that Lady was pregnant, and the five dots indicate her children, who would make their first appearance in "Jake the Dad."
- Lady has a recurring nightmare about zombies attacking her family. The stress causes her to grind her teeth in her sleep.
- In "My Two Favorite People," Lady is able to wear power rings by phasing them to her hands.
- The original storyboards from this episode also featured Lady explaining to Finn that she was from another universe and came to Ooo by accident when a cluster of moons inverted and "black holed" into each other. This is apparently not canon, as her parents are shown to be from the Crystal Dimension and are able to travel to and from Ooo freely, and other Rainicorns are known to people in Ooo.
- Lady's colors are in reverse order when compared to a normal rainbow.
- Contrary to popular belief that Lady speaks English in Korea, Lady's voice is dubbed over in Korean by voice actor Lee Myung-hee in Korea. For the reason other characters don't understand her, her voice is digitally distorted, though it is easy for viewers to understand her.
- Lady Rainicorn appears as an Enchiridion spell in "Finn and Jake's Epic Quest."
- She also appears as a power-up by Finn riding her to go higher in "Jumping Finn."
- In the animated short, she speaks a possible Rainicorn language, but in later episodes she speaks Korean
- In a translation in "Lady & Peebles," it says that Lady enjoys bird songs.
- Other aspects of the Rainicorn people seem to be subtly based on Korean culture and history such as the Korean War, Korean games (i.e. Ethel Rainicorn performs a version of 똥침 "dongchim" on Finn in "Her Parents"), and Korean delicacies.
- In the Spanish version of Adventure Time, Lady Rainicorn is called 'Arcoiris', which is Spanish for rainbow.
- Similarly, in the Brazilian version, she's is called just 'Iris', referencing the 'Arcoiris' as well.
Note: In the minor appearances section, "«" indicates where Lady has a spoken role. Ones marked "cameo" indicate non-speaking roles.
- "Adventure Time" (debut)
- "My Two Favorite People"
- "From Bad to Worse"
- "Lady & Peebles"
- "Jake the Dad"
- "The Pit"
- "The Diary"
- "Lady Rainicorn of the Crystal Dimension"
- "The Music Hole"
- "Slumber Party Panic"
- "The Enchiridion!" (cameo)
- "What Have You Done?"
- "Power Animal" (cameo)
- "Her Parents"
- "Go With Me" (cameo)
- "Video Makers"
- "Mortal Folly" (cameo)
- "The Creeps"
- "Holly Jolly Secrets Part II" (cameo)
- "Dad's Dungeon" (cameo, in Jake's Imagination)
- "Dream of Love" (cameo)
- "King Worm"
- "Five More Short Graybles" (cameo)
- "Up a Tree"
- "All the Little People"
- "Jake Suit"
- "Time Sandwich"
- "Apple Wedding" (cameo)
- "Jake The Brick" (cameo)
- "Graybles 1000+"
- "Cherry Cream Soda"
- "Summer Showers"
- "Flute Spell"
Mentioned and/or drawn
- "Rainy Day Daydream"
- "Heat Signature" (title card)
- "Apple Thief"
- "No One Can Hear You"
- "Holly Jolly Secrets Part I"
- "Paper Pete"
- "Princess Monster Wife"
- "Card Wars"
- "Burning Low"
- "Little Dude"
- "One Last Job"
- "Another Five More Short Graybles"
- "The Vault"
- "Play Date" (pictured)
- "The Red Throne"
- "Wake Up"
- "Everything's Jake" (pictured)
- "Bonnie & Neddy"
|The full image gallery for Lady Rainicorn may be viewed at Lady Rainicorn/Gallery.|