"Loyalty to the King" is the third episode in the second season of Adventure Time. It is the twenty-ninth episode overall.
The story opens with Finn and Jake saving Engagement Ring Princess from the sleeping Ice King. Upon waking up, the Ice King is infuriated, convinced "She broke up with (him)" before becoming depressed on what went wrong. He eventually shaves all of his beard off and attempts to work out in a park. He is approached by Slime Princess, who falls in love with him, mistaking him for a "Nice King" which was actually a misunderstanding in which Ice King says; "Well I'm an Ice King." Ice King attempted to correct the mistake, but when he realizes that Slime Princess likes him as the Nice King, he goes along with the misunderstanding, but instead, he mentioned he was a "really Nice King." Lumpy Space Princess spies on them and calls all the other princesses.
Meanwhile, Finn and Jake are walking home from killing a cyclops when Princess Princess Princess bumps into them and mentions the Nice King. Finn and Jake decide to be the Nice King's knights.
Back at the sand pit, Nice King has built himself a sand castle using the elements of the playground and collects all of the admiring princesses in a makeshift cage as Finn and Jake arrive. He knights them and orders them to sort through his admirers to find a suitably good looking princess he can marry. During this process, Finn begins to feel guilty for Jake's turning down Ghost Princess and Turtle Princess and making them cry. He tries to explain his feelings to the Nice King, who notices his own beard is growing back. Finn and Jake are instructed to go to the Ice Kingdom to retrieve his "stolen" razor.
Finn and Jake find a razor, but also discover the Ice King's shaven beard. They eventually realize the Nice King is the Ice King and rush back. The princesses stand in their way, refusing to let them beat up the Nice King. The heroes manage to push past them by using Jake's ear as a shield. After a chase scene through the sand castle, Finn kicks Nice King out of a tower and the two fall. Jake jumps down after them and Finn glues the beard back on the Ice King, revealing his true identity to the princesses. Angry, they all beat the Ice King up.
- Ice King (Nice King)
- Bee Princess
- Embryo Princess
- Emerald Princess
- Engagement Ring Princess
- Ghost Princess
- Hot Dog Princess
- Jungle Princess
- Lumpy Space Princess
- Muscle Princess
- Gridface Princess
- Peanut Princess
- Princess Princess Princess
- Purple Princess
- Raggedy Princess
- Skeleton Princess
- Slime Princess
- Space Angel Princess
- Turtle Princess
- Wildberry Princess
- Mini Queen
- The picture that Ice King breaks with his banana-phone is of him and Gunter posing in front of Engagement Ring Princess while she is in his ice prison and the frame says "Together Forever."
- The sound heard while Finn and Jake were climbing the sand castle after the Nice King is the same music in the title card.
- Natasha Allegri did a princess walla in this episode.
- The "Nice King's" castle is built out of sand from the playground's sandbox.
- The question, "Do you like drums?" is a reference to the drum set always seen in the Ice King's lair.
- Princess Bubblegum and Flame Princess were the only main princesses who did not appear in this episode, though Flame Princess had not yet been introduced.
- Jungle Princess was shown the second time in the title card.
- Despite being aired as the third episode of Season 2, it appears as the first episode on the Complete Second Season DVD and Blu-ray, switching places with "It Came from the Nightosphere."
- The Ice King rejects Lumpy Space Princess in this episode, but in "Princess Monster Wife" he revealed that she is one of his favorite princesses.
- However, in "Hitman," he says that she and Ghost Princess are his least favorites.
- The Ice King's "Nice King" appearance resembles Mr. Rogers'.
- The part where Jake goes up and down is similar to the way Yoshi does in the Super Mario series.
- Ice King's banana phone may be a reference to the Raffi song Bananaphone.
- Many times near end of the episode, the "whiskers" on Ice King's face disappear and reappear.
- At the beginning of the episode, Finn was using a stick to unlock Engagement Ring Princess from the Ice King's trap. It is unknown why Jake didn't turn his hand into a key-shape as he was about to do in "Prisoners of Love".
This episode was censored in some countries. See Censorship of Adventure Time for more information.
|See Full Storyboard|