Marceline Abadeer (full title: Marceline the Vampire Queen) is one of the main characters in Adventure Time and a half-demon/half-human, and vampire who is over 1003 years old. During her first encounter with Finn and Jake, she forces the two out of their tree fort. Despite initially being an adversary to the two, Marceline quickly becomes one of Finn and Jake's closest friends. Her father, Hunson Abadeer, is the demon who rules the Nightosphere.
- For storyline analysis of Marceline's history and origin see Marceline/Analysis of Marceline's origin.
Marceline's earliest depicted childhood memory, in "Everything Stays", is of her living in a trailer with her human mother, who recounts to her the story of how she met her father. In "Memory of a Memory", one of Marceline's memories shows her as a young girl playing near the burning ruins of a city, presumably during the Mushroom War. Later on in "I Remember You," a flashback shows a young Marceline being given a doll, which she eventually named Hambo, by Simon Petrikov—who would later become the Ice King—to comfort her during the war. The two traveled together through the ruins of destroyed cities for some time, a relationship which is expanded on in "Simon and Marcy"; by the events of this episode, she is apparently 7 years old, as stated by Simon. This companionship lasted until Simon, in the final stages of his permanent descent into madness, eventually left Marceline for her own safety, promising to send somebody to guard her, a memory depicted in "Everything Stays". After his departure, Simon presumably somehow managed to reunite Marceline with Hunson, as revealed in the Adventure Time: 2015 Spoooktacular.
As a teenager, Marceline's relationship with her father was damaged when he ate her fries in the ruins of a diner. She later sang about this event in her "Fry Song". In "Vamps About", Marceline is shown to have spent some time after this event wandering with her pet dog Schwabl, staking vampires to protect humans and fill the void left by Simon's departure. She befriends a tribe of humans and, in an attempt to protect them, gets bitten by the Vampire King just as he is staked by her, turning her into the Vampire Queen.
Following these events, the first depicted memory of her life as a vampire is when she moved into the Tree Fort (that would later become Finn and Jake's home) with her boyfriend Ash, whom she would later dump for selling Hambo, her most prized possession, to Maja the Sky Witch.
In "Evicted!", Marceline states that she has been all over the Land of Ooo, claiming to have ridden a Giant Goldfish and traveled to the Fire Kingdom. However, according to Natasha Allegri, she was actually lying and trying to show off. She has also apparently had several places of residence throughout her life, which may have been obtained in her attempts to get away from the Ice King, before eventually settling down in her current home.
Her powers as a half-demon are limited to the ability to suck souls, as she states in "Vamps About". She took advantage of this ability to obtain other powers from the souls of staked vampires. However, her half-demon origins may nonetheless entitle her to some longevity, as supported by the fact that her alternate Farmworld version in "Finn the Human", never turned into a vampire because she stayed with Simon's corpse, still lived to be over a thousand years old, albeit in an aged state. Her father did not visibly age like she did, likely due to being a full demon.
Marceline first appears in "Evicted!", when she arrives at Finn and Jake's tree fort and forces them out. Marceline claims that the place is rightfully hers, as she used to live in it. Finn and Jake reluctantly leave when Jake convinces Finn that they are no match for Marceline's powers. After the two finally settle down in a new home, Marceline immediately turns up and shows them that she owns that place as well. She also fights Finn and pretends to kill Jake, but she reveals that is was a trick, and she was really just having fun.
In "Henchman", Marceline coerces Finn to be her henchman and Jake tries to save him. She tricks Finn into doing things which seem wrong, however she is just having fun with him and their deeds were actually harmless or even good. Near the conclusion of the episode, Jake knocks away Marceline's parasol and attempts to destroy her while she is in pain due to the sunlight. Finn tries to convince him that she is a "radical dame who likes to play games" and makes things seem worse than they are. Eventually, Jake leaves after Finn deceives him into thinking that Marceline was destroyed. However, Finn had secretly helped Marceline survive the attack by letting her hide in his backpack.
In "It Came from the Nightosphere", Finn helps Marceline record a mournful song she wrote that questions her father's love for eating fries that she had bought in the past. Marceline reveals the only way to see her father is to perform a ritual to open a portal to the Nightosphere. Finn immediately follows her instructions and allows her dad, Hunson Abadeer, to enter Ooo. Marceline is angry at Finn for releasing her father and is upset even further when Hunson Abadeer steals her ax bass. Finn immediately sets off to stop the Lord of Evil from causing chaos in Ooo, and Marceline comes along so she could take the bass back from her dad. Finn eventually manages to get Hunson Abadeer to apologize and start talking things over with his daughter and uses this distraction to free the souls which he has sucked and send him back into the Nightosphere. Although upset that Finn interrupted the two right when they were beginning to make up, Marceline is relieved that the drama is over.
In "Go With Me", Marceline gives advice to Finn to help him attract Princess Bubblegum's attention so he could attend Couples Night with her. Marceline gives Finn various ideas and advice, but they all backfire and gets him kicked out of the Candy Kingdom. Later, Finn asks Marceline to go to the movies with him, but she misunderstands this as a date proposal and responds angrily. However, she accepts Finn's offer after he explains that he merely asked her as a friend. At Couples Night, the two find the film disgusting and crash the event before riding off with her on wolves.
In "Heat Signature", Marceline reveals more of her condescendingly playful nature when she and her ghost friends trick Finn and Jake into believing they have become vampires. However, Marceline's friends go too far, putting Finn and Jake's lives in danger, and she ends up saving them from the ghosts and revealing to them that she was tricking them all along.
In "Memory of a Memory", Marceline is put under a sleeping spell by her ex-boyfriend Ash. When Finn and Jake explore her memory to wake her up, bits of her past are shown, from a moment when she plays with Hambo alone in the ruins of a city, to her tearful fry incident with her dad, to her angry breakup with Ash after he sold Hambo to a witch. After Finn and Jake manage to wake Marceline and Finn reminds her of why she broke up with Ash, Marceline lets Finn help her beat up her ex-boyfriend.
In "What Was Missing", it is evident that Marceline and Princess Bubblegum care for each other to an extent, despite ending their relationship on seemingly bad terms. Marceline sings "I'm Just Your Problem" out of frustration, confessing that she does not feel like she is enough for Princess Bubblegum, but wants to make up with her regardless. At the end of the episode, it is revealed that Princess Bubblegum's most prized possession is Marceline's old rock shirt.
In "Marceline's Closet", Finn and Jake hide in Marceline's house and end up hearing her recording some of her deepest secrets in song. They are caught when they try to escape her house while she goes to bed. She surprises them by saying she does not mind that they hid in her house, and explains that she hides at their place "all the time."
In "Return to the Nightosphere" and "Daddy's Little Monster", Marceline invites Finn and Jake to visit the Nightosphere, but is bothered by her dad, who wants her to follow in his footsteps and take his place as its ruler. She refuses, and sings "Not Just Your Little Girl" with Finn and Jake, but is transformed into demon form by the Nightosphere amulet her dad gave her. Finn and Jake eventually manage to remove the amulet from Marceline's neck and when they are about to escape the Nightosphere again, her dad runs up and tells her he is proud of her anyway.
In "I Remember You", its revealed that Marceline and Ice King were friends during the Mushroom War, while the wizard was still Simon Petrikov. Ice King drops in on Marceline at her house uninvited for a jam session, bringing with him some old papers and memorabilia as inspiration for songs. When Marceline recognizes old pictures of her and Simon and some of Simon's writing, she tries to jog Ice King's memory, but it is no use. Marceline gives up trying to reason with Ice King, who cannot seem to remember any of his past. They sing an emotional song together, using a note that Simon wrote to Marceline long ago as lyrics. Marceline ends up in tears as she sings. Simon wrote the note as an apology to Marceline for when he would not remember her.
In "Finn the Human" and "Jake the Dog", it is shown what Marceline would be like if she had not become a vampire, and remained as a half-demon. In the Farmworld timeline, she is an overweight, crazy old lady. She protected Simon's body (as he died since he never became the Ice King), and tries to warn Finn about the crown before she is killed by the Mushroom Bomb. Jake, however, undoes Finn's and the Lich's wishes, and the world returns to normal.
In "Bad Little Boy", Marceline overhears Ice King's stories about "Fionna and Cake" and tells him and his previously kidnapped princesses a story of her own. This version introduces her fictional male counterpart, "Marshall Lee".
In "Simon & Marcy", Marceline tells Finn, Jake, and the Ice King about some of her and Ice King's adventures almost 1000 years ago while he was still Simon Petrikov. Her tale is set after the Great Mushroom War, and little Marcy ends up getting sick. Simon goes to great lengths trying to make her better while protecting her from the dangers around them. She tries to discourage Simon from using the crown for its powers due to its negative effect on his sanity. Marceline recovers after Simon finds some chicken soup for her, but he ends up calling her "Gunter" instead of "Marcy."
In "Sky Witch", Marceline enlists Princess Bubblegum's help to find Maja the Sky Witch, so that she can get Hambo back. After Bubblegum gets them past Maja's outer barrier, Marceline fights Maja's Crabbit Familiar, while Princess Bubblegum attempts to look for Hambo. Princess Bubblegum eventually encounters Maja, and they make a trade: Princess Bubblegum gives the witch the rock shirt Marceline gave her, while Maja gives Princess Bubblegum Hambo. Maja is satisfied with the trade, explaining that the prized shirt holds far more "sentimental freshness" and "psychic resonance" than Hambo does. Marceline and Hambo are reunited.
In "Red Starved", Marceline, Finn, and Jake go to an ancient ruin to find the Spoon of Prosperity. After Jake eats the red erasers Marceline brought for food, she reveals that if she goes too long without feeding, she will lose control and would kill anyone around her. Knowing this, Jake ties her up, but she later escapes. Fortunately, Princess Bubblegum bursts through the wall in her Sand Worm just before Marceline is about to kill Jake. Marceline drinks all of the pink ("low-grade red") from her, but Princess Bubblegum puts the spoon on her nose and returns to normal.
In "Betty", Marceline, Finn, and Jake are in the middle of a jam session when she receives a call from Simon, who asks her for help finding Betty and tells her to bring Hambo. When she arrives at the Ice Kingdom, she is very happy to be reunited with her old friend.
In "Ocarina", she had a very quick cameo when Kim Kil Whan mentioned how he received the deed to the tree fort. He said he got it from its previous owner, Marceline the Vampire Queen, in exchange for the lunatic bass. He projected an image of her holding the new bass with his horn, then made it disappear.
In "Princess Day", Marceline and Lumpy Space Princess decide team up to get even with Breakfast Princess, who called Lumpy Space Princess a "pamplemousse." Throughout the episode, Marceline appears to encourage Lumpy Space Princess's bad behavior.
In "Dark Purple", Marceline, BMO, Finn and Jake are sitting together on the Super Porp day, where drones deliver new boxes of the drink. They all buy a can and wonder about the production of it, as the production has been ongoing even before the Mushroom War. Jake tells them that it is a good thing, and they shouldn't question it. Later, the drone who delivered the Super Porp scans all four of them and declares none of them are suitable.
In "Varmints", Marceline and Princess Bubblegum, while hunting varmints, travel together through the Rock Candy Mines they had frequented together in the past before Bubblegum's princess duties got in the way of their friendship. In the process, they are attacked and nearly immobilized by the mother varmint, causing Bubblegum to break down. However, Marceline uses her shapeshifting powers to save the two of them, and they successfully escape the mines.
In "Marceline The Vampire Queen", Marceline grows weary of her life as a vampire, and she later explains that she does not want to continue feeling empty and "messed up" inside for eternity. Marceline asks Princess Bubblegum to cure her of her vampirism so she can find happiness being able to grow up normally. Bubblegum discloses that she is unsure of the cure's effectiveness, but they both agree to carry out the experimental process of sucking Marceline's vampire effluvium out. Shortly after the procedure has been carried out, the Fat Villagers report that their cows have been bitten and drained of their blood; being the only vampire in Ooo, Marceline is accused and later tied up by the Villagers to be left to burn in the sun.
In "Everything Stays", Marceline's life flashes before her eyes as she is about to be hit by the sun, and she flashes back to several memories, including a pre-Mushroom War childhood memory with her mother, the moment when Simon, nearing total insanity, left her, her life as a vampire hunter, and her experiences befriending a tribe of surviving humans and protecting them. In the present, she discovers that the sun has no effect on her and that Bubblegum's cure was successful. Unbeknownst to her, however, the process had unknowingly released the spirits of the high vampires which she had slain and whose abilities she gained from their sucked souls.
In "Vamps About", Marceline's excitement at being mortal again is interrupted by the reports of new vampire activity. Upon realizing that the high vampires are back to wreak havoc across Ooo, she enlists the help of Finn, Jake, and Princess Bubblegum to stake them. It is also revealed via flashback that she was bitten and turned into a vampire by The Vampire King in the process of staking him. Marceline, in the present, encounters The Fool and The Vampire King; she stakes The Fool and sucks his soul to re-obtain flight. She tries to fight The Vampire King, but he tells her that The Empress is making her way to the Ice Kingdom.
In "The Empress Eyes", Marceline sets out alone to stop The Empress upon learning that she is going after the Ice King, whom in the past she had apparently manipulated via hypnotism as a servant of sorts. Finn is dragged into the mess when the Empress manipulates the Ice King into capturing him so that she can feast on his human blood. After a struggle, last-minute intervention from Bubblegum allows Marceline to stake her.
In "May I Come In?", Marceline encounters and fights The Hierophant, who is initially eager to team up with her because of their mutual dislike of the Vampire King but is unwilling to accept her condition that he stop drinking blood from innocent creatures. The Hierophant is eventually immobilized and defeated, but in the fight she is severely poisoned by one of his cuts.
In "Take Her Back", Marceline is still severely immobilized by the cut; in her unconscious state, she has two dreams: one where an older version of her is visiting Simon and Betty, who are normal and happily living together, and one where she is elderly and being cared for by Bubblegum. While Bubblegum and Peppermint Butler are trying to save her from dying, Finn and Jake seek out The Moon. They are unable to immobilize her because of self-healing ability and end up luring her to Marceline and Bubblegum. However, Peppermint Butler manages to stake The Moon, allowing Marceline to suck her soul and heal herself.
In "Checkmate", Marceline gets ready to fight the Vampire King again, only to discover that he is unwilling to fight and actually wants to be rid of his vampirism, not wanting their past history to simply repeat itself in the present. Bubblegum successfully carries out the procedure on the Vampire King, but an accident leads to his escaped vampire essence forming into a dark cloud and wreaking havoc across Ooo.
In "The Dark Cloud", Marceline becomes disillusioned by the consequences that her desire to become mortal again has brought about. After some unintended motivation from the Ice King, however, she decides to help her friends fight the cloud. She uses her soul-sucking powers to absorb it, but in the process the cloud's fangs bite her, leaving her a vampire once again. This time around, however, Marceline says that she is at peace with her status as a vampire, as her brief time being mortal again helped her to mature, just as she wanted. As of the episode, the Vampire King also seems to be able to manifest himself benevolently to Marceline in her head, and he remarks to her that Finn, Jake and Bubblegum seem like nice friends.
Marceline is described as a wild rocker girl. Centuries of wandering the Land of Ooo have made her a fearless daredevil. She is a lover of all things exotic and still travels across the land often. She has a mischievous personality and is rarely intimidated. Despite seeming evil in her first two appearances ("Evicted!" and "Henchman"), Marceline is a trickster at heart, and her "evil plans" often turn out to be nothing more than elaborate jokes. She is described by Finn as "a radical dame who likes to play games." She loves to play pranks on Finn and Jake. She also occasionally has violent outbursts, as shown in "It Came from the Nightosphere." Though during her line in the song, in "Evicted!" she stated that she was a thousand years old and had lost her moral code.
It is implied that some of her more malevolent traits are solely based on her vampire instincts. In "Red Starved", Marceline slowly becomes vicious and sinister after having been deprived of food, trying to tempt Jake so that she could eat him. In "Vamps About", Marceline was fine with Peppermint Butler creating weapons meant to kill her as a contingency, stating that she could have snapped and killed everyone at any given time.
She can also be sentimental. She was very emotionally attached to her teddy bear Hambo, which was given to her by Simon Petrikov; after Ash sold it to Maja, she was furious and broke up with him. Later, Princess Bubblegum got Hambo back in the episode "Sky Witch".
Marceline seems to be very emotional. For example, in "What Was Missing", she seemed to be more aggressive towards Princess Bubblegum than she usually is. She is also very independent, and in early episodes would often act without concern for Finn or his friends. It is easier for Marceline to express her feelings through music, as seen with the "Fry Song" and "I'm Just Your Problem," but has trouble expressing them otherwise. She keeps a diary that she uses for inspiration for songs as seen in "Marceline's Closet." When Marceline read the lyrics to "Remember You", the song that Simon Petrikov wrote for her, she began to cry.
Near the end of "The Dark Cloud", her personality changed slightly. Marceline had learned how to be more mature which is proved by her saying that she will be able to hang out with Princess Bubblegum "forever". She also said the learned how to be more empathetic to others too. Yet, it is still unknown if she got over her emptiness in the end.
Marceline has light blue-gray skin, crooked fangs, and long, midnight black hair that reaches to her feet. She also sports two marks on her neck, which are the marks of the bite that turned her into a vampire.
Despite being over a thousand years old, her appearance and personality is that of a 18 to 20 year old.
In the episode "Go With Me", her hair is shaved into an undercut, which reveals that she has pointy ears. She is very thin and sometimes appears to be thinner than Princess Bubblegum; however, her shape can vary slightly depending on who is drawing her. She is usually floating in the air but when she stands next to the other main characters she is taller than they; however in "I Remember You", she was just at Ice King's size (or slightly shorter). In most of her transformations, she is shown to have green eyes.
Marceline's general appearance, particularly her blue-gray skin, fangs, and pointy ears, is an apparent result of her demonic heritage, and she shares all of these characteristics with her father. From Marceline's maternal side, the episode "Everything Stays" revealed that she possesses genes from a dark-skinned race, although evidently the phenotypes associated with these genes are recessive.
Her main outfit features a dark grey tank top, dark blue pants and red boots.
Marceline wears different outfits in most of her episode appearances. Her style seems to be punk rock, or grunge with colors normally red, black, grey, and other dull colors. For example, in "Henchman," she wears a dark violet strapless dress with a dull pink sash, lilac-purple stockings with dark purple stripes and pink heels. For more information, see Marceline/Gallery.
Powers and abilities
Marceline has many supernatural abilities, most of which she acquired by sucking the souls of vampires she had slain. She has been shown to possess the following powers:
- Soul sucking: Marceline stated the only power her demon heritage granted her was the ability to suck souls, like her father. This allowed her to gain the specific abilities of vampires she had killed. She can also suck out still living souls, which she demonstrated jokingly on Jake when they were hunting vampires in "Stakes".
- Levitation: She has the ability to float and even to fly with careful control and rapid speed. She can even sleep while floating, as shown in "Marceline's Closet". She obtained this power from The Fool.
- Pyrokinesis: She can light fire with only her mind, as seen in "Evicted!" when she lit up all the candles in the tree-house.
- Telekinesis: She can move things using her mind, as shown in "Evicted!" and "Daddy's Little Monster". She probably obtained this power from Vampire King.
- Invisibility: She can turn invisible, as seen in "Heat Signature", "Bad Little Boy", "Red Starved", and "Princess Day". She obtained this power from The Empress.
- Necromancy: She can raise spooky scary skeletons, as seen in "Henchman".
- Rapid healing: She appears to heal quickly from injuries, at least damage from sunlight, as shown once she was returned to the shade in "Henchman". Also in "What Was Missing" she was exposed to the sunlight in this episode, she quickly retreated and the wounds healed. She obtained this power from The Moon.
- Shape-shifting: She has the ability to shape-shift into numerous monstrous forms, including a bat, a wolf, a reptilian creature, and a large tentacled monster. She can also use this power to copy things she can see, if she has time to study them, as shown in "Varmints". She obtained this power from The Hierophant.
- Eating shades of red: Unlike traditional vampires, Marceline is capable of sustaining herself on "shades of red," such as the color in strawberries, rather than being limited to surviving on blood. She has claimed in her first appearance in "Evicted!" to "sometimes" consume blood, but this was not proved or referenced again until "Red Starved", in which she consumed the pink blood of Princess Bubblegum (who quickly revived herself with the Spoon of Prosperity). According to the note she left on her door in "Marceline's Closet", she gets lucid dreams when she eats tomatoes.
- The Nightosphere amulet: When worn she gains the ability to shoot green lasers which either vaporize or transform whatever they hit. She can also create or transform into a large cloud of blood mist with the ability to shoot green lasers.
- Communication with absorbed beings: As a result of absorbing the Vampire King's dark cloud half, she can now communicate with a miniature mental projection of the Vampire King.
- Stylish Magic Clothing: Whenever she shape-shifts into a larger form, her clothes either grow with her, or are torn apart explosively. At times she appears to be able to preserve her clothing, even after changing into large forms that would cause it to break: in many appearances, the clothing disappears until she returns to her humanoid form, whereas in "Sky Witch", she performs numerous transformations while still wearing her outfit. In either case, her duds always reappear when she reverts to her normal form.
- Bass player: She is an expert bass player.
- Singer: She is a proficient singer.
- Basketball player: She can play basketball and perform a slam dunk without floating.
- Warrioress: Marceline is a mighty fighter, able to use all of her abilities strategically to great affect. She is certainly one of the most formidable beings currently on Ooo.
Marceline is very vulnerable to sunlight, as is common in vampire lore, she does not dissolve right away however. The nuance to this in the Adventure Time world is that vampires are vulnerable specifically to direct sunlight. Marceline is capable of unrestricted movement on a bright sunny day provided that she shields herself sufficiently, which she usually accomplishes with a combination of a parasol and a large sunhat, sometimes with the addition of full-length gloves to cover her arms. According to Marceline, moving around on a bright day still hurts mildly, comparable to scraping her knee, but she can bear it.
Exposure to direct sunlight will cause Marceline to painfully melt into a pile of goo, though if she retreats into cover she can heal back to normal within moments. It is not clear if prolonged exposure to direct sunlight will eventually kill Marceline outright. This could be explained by her being a half-demon turned into a vampire, giving her resistance which a human-turned-vampire would lack. What type of demon her father is is still unknown.
Also like typical vampires, Marceline cannot see her own reflection in a mirror. In "Heat Signature", Marceline explains to Finn and Jake that vampires cannot defeat ghosts: "It's like a rock-paper-scissors thing". It is unknown if Marceline is negatively affected by garlic because her only known exposure to it happened when Jake pelted her in the head with large cloves of it, so the pain she experienced may have come from the impact and not the exposure. It is also unknown if Marceline can be slain with a wooden stake since she hid when Jake attempted to do so, although a wooden stake to the heart would kill just about anything. In "Princess Day", she reveals that she cannot digest syrup.
Music and instruments
- Main article: Marceline's instruments
Marceline is a very talented musician and songwriter, and is proficient at singing and playing her basses. Because she is ambidextrous like Finn, she is capable of playing her basses with either hand, and may even be able to employ double-handed tapping which allow her to combine simple rhythm progressions with lead parts. As seen in "It Came from the Nightosphere", Marceline is familiar with the production of chords, which is a technique not normally employed by bass players.
Marceline has three bass guitars, one seen in "Evicted!" a butterfly bass seen in "Heat Signature", and her ax bass in "Henchman" and "It Came from the Nightosphere". She seems to be most attached to and protective of her ax bass. The ax bass is supposedly a family heirloom as mentioned by her father in "It Came from the Nightosphere," and it was originally a weapon before Marceline modified it. It is shown in "Daddy's Little Monster" that she also plays and has a banjolele, or banjo ukulele. Though she has amplifiers, she does not usually need to plug her instruments into them.
In "Five More Short Graybles", Marceline is in search of a Wizard Bill's music store to find a guitar known to play the 'most savory licks in Ooo'. Whether or not she bought the instrument is uncertain, but she was shown playing it before the scene panned.
- Main article: Marceline's relationships
- "Evicted!" (debut)
- "It Came from the Nightosphere"
- "Go With Me"
- "Heat Signature"
- "Memory of a Memory"
- "What Was Missing"
- "Marceline's Closet"
- "Return to the Nightosphere"
- "Daddy's Little Monster"
- "I Remember You"
- "Finn the Human" (Farmworld Marceline)
- "Jake the Dog" (Farmworld Marceline)
- "Five More Short Graybles" (grayble)
- "Bad Little Boy"
- "Simon & Marcy"
- "Sky Witch"
- "Red Starved"
- "Princess Day"
- "Sow, Do You like Them Apples"
- "Marceline The Vampire Queen"
- "Everything Stays"
- "Vamps About"
- "The Empress Eyes"
- "May I Come In?"
- "Take Her Back"
- "The Dark Cloud"
- "Broke His Crown"
- "The Music Hole"
- "The Duke" (cameo)
- "Power Animal" (cameo)
- "Video Makers"
- "Holly Jolly Secrets Part II" (cameo)
- "All the Little People" (as a toy)
- "Time Sandwich"
- "Ocarina" (cameo)
- "Jake The Brick" (cameo)
- "Astral Plane"
- "Dark Purple"
- "Hoots" (cameo)
- "Be Sweet"
- "The Comet" (cameo)
- "President Porpoise is Missing!" (cameo)
- "Crossover" (Farmworld Marceline)
- "Beyond the Grotto" (Leaf Marceline)
- "Wheels" (cameo)
- "The Invitation"
- "The Light Cloud" (flashback, cameo)
- "Fry Song"
- "I'm Just Your Problem"
- "Fisherman Song"
- "My Best Friends in the World"
- "House Hunting Song"
- "Journal Song"
- "Not Just Your Little Girl"
- "Remember You"
- "Boss Marceline Who's In Charge Here"
- "Breakfast Song"
- "Yeah, Girl, It Stinks"
- "Super Porp Jingle"
- "Everything Stays"
- "According to Our New Arrival"
- "Remembering Memories"
- "Time, Sweet Time"
- "It's Spring Again"
- "Was it Reality"
- "Rather Be Anything"
- "Happy Ending Song"
- "Francis Forever"
- Marceline does not appear in the Pilot episode with most of the other main characters, although she is still considered one. This is because she did not exist until the year 2010.
- In "Evicted!," Marceline appears in the realm of fire without burning herself, probably for being undead.
- Despite being a skilled bass player, she does not know what a quaver is.
- Marceline plays the bass guitar with both hands, often switching hand positions while floating depending where she is in the air. She most often plays with her right hand.
- Her bass is strung and strapped for a right-handed individual. When Marceline plays left-handed, she's playing the bass upside-down. However, the animators are inconsistent with which handed was the bass is made for.
- Marceline is ambidextrous like Finn.
- Marceline's name is based on Pendleton Ward's friend, Marie, whose middle name is Marceline. Pen described Marie as someone who likes the horror movie Psycho and dark clothing.
- Marceline has a genderbent counterpart named Marshall Lee.
- She is the most difficult character to work with for Jesse Moynihan.
- She also plays basketball as seen in "Simon & Marcy."
- Marceline's last name may constitute as an homage to the real-life city Aberdeen, Washington which is known for being a "tough" town and the hometown of Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain.
- Marceline is the boss of Red Rock Pass in Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!!
- In "Princess Day," it is shown that sunblock can protect Marceline from the sun. It is shown in "Marceline the Vampire Queen (episode)" that she uses Spf 10,000,000. However, we still do not know if it only works in the morning sunlight.
- In the Art of Ooo book, it is confirmed that Marceline is older than Princess Bubblegum (who is 827 years old, according to Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DONT KNOW!). However, it is unknown if this is canon.
- Marceline has retrieved most of her powers from previously slayed vampires by sucking their souls.
- In the Mini Series, Marceline has several flashbacks that show her encounters with the Ultra Vampires she continues to slay. Both The Heirophant and the Vampire King remind her of a price she must pay for her powers, or there would be grand consequences. The price is obviously renouncing the ability to live in the sun, but the consequence for not paying the said price is heavily implied to be the side effect of Magic: Madness, and Sadness, a concept researched by Betty Grof.
- Magic, Madness, and Sadness is the concept of an emotional complexity concept (possibly disorder) inside nearly every Wizard/Magical Being. It is seen as the "consequence" of having magical power in the present day of Ooo.
- Despite Marceline taking The Moon's powers, which allowed her to survive in sunlight, Marceline can still be burned by the sun. This is similar to her taking the power of invisibility from The Empress, but not her hypnosis, as well as receiving no notable powers from the Vampire King.
Appearances in other media
- Marceline has an exosuit in the game Project Exonaut.
- Marceline is the final boss in the game Righteous Quest 2.
- In the game Legends of Ooo, she appears to have a coat, an undead gardener, and an undead cleaner.
- Her age was the answer to one of Gaia Online's ten trivia contests to answer to try to win a first season DVD set.
- There was a Pet Society costume of Marceline.
- Marceline is a playable character in Adventure Time Battle Party and Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW!.
- Marceline is a playable character in the video game LEGO Dimensions
- In "The Duke," Marceline is seated along with the other royals at the Grand Meeting of Ooo Royalty, showing that her status as vampire queen is recognized by the kingdoms of Land of Ooo.
|The full image gallery for Marceline Abadeer may be viewed at Marceline Abadeer/Gallery.|
- ↑ Episode 152 Betty, 24 February 2014:
Marceline: "I'm only a thousand."
- ↑ episode 118 Simon & Marcy debuted 25 March 2013:
Time Card "THIS DAY 996 YEARS AGO"
- ↑ episode 12 Evicted! debuted 17 May 2010:
Marceline:"I'm a thousand years old"
(sung as part of the House Hunting Song lyrics)
- ↑ Episode 84 Daddy's Little Monster debuted 30 April 2012:
Marceline: "Dad, I'm a thousand years old."
Hunson: "Ha! Yes you are, sweetie."
- ↑ "Simon & Marcy". Season 5. Episode 14.
Simon: "A 7-year-old girl!"
- ↑ Adventure Time: 2015 Spoooktacular.
Marceline: "You know what...? It's kinda nice having to someone to talk to. I mean... someone who's not just gonna abandon me and leave me with my ding-dong dad."
- ↑ "I Remember You". Season 4. Episode 25.
Marceline: "Every time I move eventually you'd find me / And start hanging around..."
- ↑ http://i1.cdnds.net/14/42/comics-adventure-time-the-art-of-ooo.png