| Season 2, episode 25|
|Airdate:||May 2, 2011|
|Story:|| Mark Banker|
| Written &|
| Cole Sanchez|
"Mortal Recoil" is the twenty-fifth episode in the second season of Adventure Time. It is the fifty-first episode overall.
Though the Lich appears stopped, an idiotic accident by the Ice King has led Princess Bubblegum to becoming altered, leading to an unlikely final showdown with one of the greatest evil in order to save all life in Ooo.
In the previous episode, Princess Bubblegum was dropped stupidly by the Ice King into the Lich's Well of Power, which had melted her body. The episode begins with Dr. Ice Cream and Nurse Poundcake, along with other candy hospital staff, rolling her into the ER trying to stabilize her. They put two scoops of sugar on her just before she was flat-lined. Luckily, she was brought back to life. Ice King tries to explain something strange he saw when Princess Bubblegum fell in the well, but Finn is still extremely mad at the Ice King for almost killing her and nearly kills him by throwing his Root Sword at him, telling him "just shut your face, old man." This hurts him emotionally, so he flies away. As a gift for destroying the Lich, the other princesses gave Finn a new backpack, since his old one got ripped. Princess Bubblegum is still very ill and is confined to her room, with Finn and Jake acting as her caregivers. When she wakes up she is given a gift of every flower in the Candy Kingdom picked for her.
However, she exhibits strange behavioral problems including spasms, heavy breathing, convulsions and crawling into the bathroom. Finn returns her to her bed and takes some time to confide his feelings to her, asking Jake to leave the room. Finn thanks her for the sweater she made him due to it have "the power of liking someone a lot" because she cared about him and tells her that they should discuss their feelings later, but she is unresponsive. Princess Bubblegum asks Finn in a whisper to bring some objects for her. When Jake and Peppermint Butler return with a cup of tea, Peppermint Butler freaks out, then hisses like a cat and runs away.
While Finn's away, Jake tries to play some music for Princess Bubblegum, but Princess Bubblegum acts psychotic and summons magical fire into the room and scares Jake out. When Finn returns to the hall outside, he is holding an assortment of items, which he reveals are things like gasoline, bleach, ammonia, lighter fluid, plutonium and other hazardous chemicals. Jake urges Finn to not bring the chemicals to Princess Bubblegum, but she opens the door and takes them from Finn and returns to her room.
Jake then tells Finn of the fire she summoned, which alarms Finn. He asked how, which Jake replied "With her brain, I think." The two enter the room where Finn believes Princess Bubblegum is just having private time in the bathroom. Jake looks through the keyhole. Finn states it is "pervy," but Jake makes him look in. They see Princess Bubblegum, now with a demonic form, pouring the chemicals into her bathtub, forming a pool like the Lich's Well of Power. When she starts drinking the liquid, Finn and Jake try to stop her, but she rips the tub off of the floor and drinks the entire concoction, growing as tall as her tower and turning deadly black.
She knocks the boys through the wall into the hallway, and as she begins to attack the Candy Kingdom, Ice King appears and asks "Hey, are you dead or what?" He then explains that he saw the Lich possess Princess Bubblegum with his "Wizard Eyes." He then explains that he had not spoken up because "when you have stanky old wizard eyes, sometimes you see things that are real, and other times it's like crazy, crazy, crazy, in your face all the time." He wants to help Finn and Jake, but Finn angrily refuses his assistance, as it was his fault for stalling them while chasing the Lich and for almost killing Princess Bubblegum in the first place.
After telling Ice King to "get stuffed," Finn tries to defeat the possessed Princess Bubblegum with the sweater she gave him, but fails. As Princess Bubblegum attacks Jake, Finn finally accepts Ice King's help. As Finn distracts Princess Bubblegum, the Ice King freezes her from the feet up. The Candy Kingdom rejoices, but their jubilation turns to shock when the frozen Princess Bubblegum statue falls over and shatters. Dr. Ice Cream, Nurse Poundcake, and Doctor Princess attempt to reassemble her but they don't have enough pieces. Nurse Poundcake then reveals to everyone that Princess Bubblegum is alive, but she is now thirteen years old instead of eighteen.
Now Ice King loses interest in her and flies home. Finn remarks that he is thirteen as well. Princess Bubblegum calls him a hero, and the two share a loving embrace. As everyone celebrates, the Snail who freed the Lich is seen waving menacingly in the background, with eyes that glow like the Lich's, which shows that the Lich may return.
- Candy People
- Doctor Princess
- Emerald Princess
- Wildberry Princess
- Lumpy Space Princess
- Raggedy Princess
- Slime Princess
- In the emergency room at the start of the episode, the heart monitor screen is displaying the first 15 digits of pi.
- All of the items Princess Bubblegum asks for (bleach, gasoline, lighter fluid, plutonium, and ammonia) are extremely sharp, flammable, explosive, or radioactive. In fact, plutonium is so radioactive it cannot be handled.
- When the possessed Princess Bubblegum sets her room on fire the flames in the background seem to have faces.
- Ice King was holding a cup against the wall, and putting his ear up to it, before Princess Bubblegum (altered form) pushed Finn and Jake through it.
- This episode marks the first time Adventure Time has had a season-ending cliffhanger, unresolved until Princess Bubblegum's next appearance six episodes later in season three's "Too Young." Since then, season-ending cliffhangers have been the norm: season three's "Incendium" was resolved in the season four opener "Hot to the Touch"; and season four's "The Lich" was resolved in the season five two-part opener "Finn the Human" and "Jake the Dog."
- When Princess Bubblegum is in the bathroom searching for the stuff she later asks Finn to bring her, the sound of glass breaking can be heard but when Finn enters the bathroom there is no broken glass around.
- Bottles and things she left on the floor are still there when Finn picks her up but in the next frame when he takes her back to bed those are gone.
- When posessed Princess Bubblegum hits Finn, his right shirt sleeve rips, but when he is flying with the Ice King and throughout the rest of the episode, the sleeve is back to normal.
Cultural references Edit
- When Princess Bubblegum was possessed by the Lich, her bed jumped up and down, she spoke with a deeper voice, her skin was pale and she sometimes contorted; this is similar to the 1973 horror movie The Exorcist.
- When Ice King ascends into the clouds, the clouds slam together in a style reminiscent of several Monty Python sketches, namely God's ascent in The Quest for the Holy Grail.
- This episode and "Mortal Folly" would have been the final episodes of the season prior to the rescheduling of "Heat Signature." The two-part episode is still considered the season two finale by the show's crew.
- This episode is a continutiation of "Mortal Folly."
- The scene when show the eyes of Ice King, the spirits are the same of "Beyond This Earthly Realm"
- This episode's continuation is "Too Young."
This episode was censored on Cartoon Network Australia. See Censorship of Adventure Time in Australia for more information.
- ↑ Pen Ward refers to "Mortal Folly/Mortal Recoil" as season finale, even after the scheduling change. http://twitter.com/#!/buenothebear/status/65160425511202816