|"My Two Favorite People"|
| Season 1, episode 9|
|Airdate:||May 3, 2010|
|Story:|| Merriwether Williams|
| Written &|
| Pendleton Ward|
"Memories of Boom Boom Mountain"
"My Two Favorite People" is the ninth episode in the first season of Adventure Time. It is the ninth episode overall.
Jake tries to improve relations between Finn and Lady Rainicorn so he can spend more time with both of them, but may end up harming both friendships in the process.
Finn and Jake are fighting Science Cat and Shark, and Jake asks Finn why he's never seen these two before. Finn replies that they come out everyday at 4:00 on the dot, causing Jake to realize he is late for his date with Lady Rainicorn, and heads to her house. Jake brings her half an orange, and enjoys watching her change the scenery to different colors. Jake wants to play viola with Rainicorn, but she said she needs to sleep. Jake apologizes for being late and says good night to her, and heads home. He talks to the worm that lives in his viola, Shelby, about the stress of hanging out with both Finn and Lady Rainicorn. Shelby suggests the idea of all three of them hanging out at the same time.
Jakes says it's an amazing idea and takes Shelby's suggestion into account. The next day, he gets Lady Rainicorn and Finn together for a picnic near a fire pit. Soon, Jake wants Finn and Lady Rainicorn to interact with each other, and suggests Finn tell a joke. Finn began to tell his joke. (Lady Rainicorn can understand English, but she doesn't speak it.) "Knock knock." Finn says. "Who's there?" Lady Rainicorn asked in korean. Jake jumps in and translates for Finn. "Diarrhea." Finn said. Lady Rainicorn understood it and was slightly disgusted by Finn's joke. She then says to Jake that wasn't any fun and asked Jake if they could do something else. Jake then said to Lady Rainicorn that she should make a joke.
Lady Rainicorn starts to say about the memory of both herself and Jake running through a farmer's field naked in Korean, leaving Finn confused and curious. Jake and Lady Rainicorn starts to laugh hysterically and Finn asks what the joke was. Knowing that it wasn't really a joke, but a funny story, Jake knew it would be too complicated for Finn to understand.
Finn ponders how Jake could understand her Korean language. Jake remembers a Universal Translator at the bottom of Lake Szelezon, which is guarded by evil Lake Knights. Finn is concerned that Rainicorn is too sweet for fights, but Jake ensures that she can do anything.
The trio jump into Lake Szelezon after she turns them blue to camouflage, and get attacked by the Lake Knights. But they all fight against them and manage to get out of the lake with the translator. After they make it out, Finn is impressed at how good all three of them battle and suggests that they should adventure together all of the time. Jake says to himself that his plan is working. Then he gives Lady Rainicorn the translator. There are three modes to the translator: old man, nightmare, and nerdy alien. Rainicorn cannot be understood in nerdy alien or nightmare, so it is left on old man, at which point Jake remembers why he threw away the device. Finn begins to refer to Lady Rainicorn as "Grandpa."
As they fly to Finn and Jake's Tree Fort, they see a Forest Wizard giving out free power rings. As they go down, Jake slips off of Rainicorn's tail without her or Finn knowing, and falls to somewhere in the forest and grows huge to find them. He finds them only unintentionally scaring away the Forest Wizard and the Bears in the process. Jake complains that he was calling out to them both, and Rainicorn was sorry for not hearing him due to the cloud density. Finn and Rainicorn shows off their power rings to Jake. Finn tries to give Jake a ring, but finds out that they are cursed. Back at the Tree Fort, Finn and Lady Rainicorn play a video game on BMO. Jake asks Rainicorn to play music together, but she is too busy. He asks Finn if he wants to go adventuring with him, but he and Lady are going to a party with Cloud People. Jake starts to get jealous as he is sighing harder and harder. Though Finn does asks Jake he can come with him, but complains to him to go with her only in somewhat a rude tone. Finn tells him to stop acting "weird." Afterwards, Finn and Lady Rainicorn go to the Cloud Kingdom to party.
Several hours later, Jake has been expecting Finn and Rainicorn's return. So he calls the Cloud Kingdom to find out where the two are, but finds they already left. He rushes out of the house and discovers that Finn and Rainicorn are having fun together as she is changing several things to different colors at her house.
Jealous for the last time, he takes out his phone and calls someone to get both Finn and Rainicorn jealous; he calls Tiffany. Finn wished that Jake was here having fun with the two. But then, he hears viola music. Out in the bushes, Jake and Tiffany are both playing viola. When Finn and Rainicorn discover the two, Rainicorn becomes surprised. Finn tells Jake to stop, since he is making Rainicorn jealous. Jake replies that he is trying to make them both jealous. Finn wonders why he would be jealous. Then Jake reveals that Tiffany is actually a boy. Surprised by this encounter, Finn jumps and tackles Tiffany. They both fight. While they fight, Rainicorn wonders why Jake was doing this, and admits that he is just jealous of her and Finn hanging out together. Jake and Rainicorn apologize to each other. Jake gets rid of the translator, as he is disturbed by her old man voice. Finn manages to defeat Tiffany, but he vows that he'll be Jake's best friend before Finn spits on him. All of them apologize and hang out with each other again.
- Even though Finn has eight fingers, he had ten when he was showing Jake his Power Rings. The number of fingers on characters change depending on the situation.
- Jake lists off the names Doug, Todd, Jerry, Dennis, Reggie, Peter, George, Larry, Luke, David, Benton, Mike R. Mike H., Mike A., Garreth, Jennings, Mr. International, Mr. Outrageous, Captain Majesty, The Flying Lettuce Brothers, Pete The Punk, and Tiffany from his phone.
- This episode has been nominated for a 2010 Primetime Emmy in the category of Outstanding Short-format Animated Program.
- The power rings Lady Rainicorn has are the same rings in the game Righteous Quest 2.
- Lady's joke really wasn't a joke as it translates to: "I can't think of one, but remember the time we ran naked through that farmer's orchard! We ate all the apples and the farmer was so angry." When the translator is set to old man she says she also ate all the peaches in the orchard.
- Even though Finn stated the rings were cursed to never come off, the rings can no longer be visibly seen in any other episode.
- Jake states that Lady Rainicorn can play viola even though she didn't in this episode.
- In the animated short, Jake and Lady Rainicorn were sharing their common interests, one of them being that they both play viola.
- There was a tree that says "J+L," which means Jake and Lady.
- When Finn shows Jake his new power rings, he appears to be wearing 10 of them. However, in previous episodes, he typically only has 8 fingers.
- Finn states that he can't take off the rings, however, he's ironically not wearing them in the next scene.
- "My Two Favorite People" is the episode featured on the first Adventure time DVD.
- The original story board included an extended ending with Shark and Science Cat both coming back at 4:00 P.M. to start the fight once again. This concept was cut out by the time the show aired.
- This is the first episode where the title card reads "Adventure Time Presents" instead of "Adventure Time With Finn & Jake Presents."
- The same music from the party in the Cloud Kingdom can be heard in the episode "Trouble in Lumpy Space," during the scene when Finn, Jake, Melissa, and Lumpy Space Princess are in Melissa's car, driving to Brad's house.
This episode was censored on Cartoon Network Australia. See Censorship of Adventure Time in Australia for more information.
|See Full Storyboard|