Pendleton "Pen" Ward is the creator of Adventure Time and the original Animated short. Pendleton Ward works for Cartoon Network Studios and Frederator Studios. He was born on July 8, 1982, and grew up in San Antonio, Texas.
Pen became interested in animation at an early age, inspired by his mother, who was an artist and worked with animators. He started drawing flip books in first grade.
At the Adventure Time panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2011, Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons and Futurama, made a surprise appearance, telling a story about Pendleton's childhood. His mother brought him to visit his house to get advice on how to be an animator. However, he couldn't remember what advice he had given to him.
Pen attended CalArts, where he became friends with JG Quintel. (They later worked on Flapjack together, and in 2009, Quintel went on to create Regular Show). At a "Producers Show" at CalArts, Pen met Eric Homer from Frederator Studios, which was his first lead in working with Frederator.
Early animation work
In 2002/2003, Pendleton Ward published a webcomic titled Bueno the Bear. He later took down the comics because he thought they were "terrible." However, he retains the name "buenothebear" for his website and his handle on sites like Twitter. Later, Pen created a short for Frederator Studios titled "Barrista" starring Bueno the Bear.
Pen continued to work on short animations for Frederator's Random! Cartoons which aired on Nicktoons. There, he worked with several people who later join him on the Adventure Time series, including composer Casey James Basichis, Adam Muto and Niki Yang. His two shorts were "The Bravest Warriors" and the "Adventure Time" animated short. The "Adventure Time" short was made in 2006 and went on to become an internet phenomenon in 2007, with over 1,000,000 views by November of that year. (Internet searches seem to indicate it first went viral in mid-January 2007, although the original versions of the video on YouTube have since been removed.) Pen pitched Adventure Time as a full series in 2006 or 2007, but it took some time before Cartoon Network decided to pick it up.
In 2008, Pendleton Ward worked on Cartoon Network's The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack(along with JG Quintel, creator of Regular Show) as a writer and storyboard artist. Flapjack was a storyboard-driven show, meaning that the storyboard artists also wrote the episodes, based on an outline. The experience inspired Pen to run Adventure Time the same way, once it was picked up as a series.
- For more on the development of the series, see Adventure Time.
Pen is the creator of Adventure Time, writer, and storyboard artist. He is also the former showrunner, but gave up that position to Adam Muto during Season 5. He voice acts as Lumpy Space Princess, one of the Business Men, Shelby, the Snow Golem, and Abraham Lincoln. Also, he voices the Mountain woman in "Memories of Boom Boom Mountain." In the Adventure Time short, Pen is named after him. Pen stated that he changed the name of Pen to Finn because he "didn't want to see his name on the back of sweatjeans." Some of the people he follows on Twitter have done voices on Adventure Time, like Andy Milonakis and Melinda Hill.
Frederator Studios has announced that Pendleton Ward's Bravest Warriors is being developed as a web series for the relaunch of its Cartoon Hangover internet animation channel in 2012. It is based on the 2006 short that Pen created for Frederator's Random! Cartoons. Former Adventure Time lead designer Phil Rynda is working on new character designs for the series. The series premiered during the fall of 2012 through Cartoon Hangover's YouTube channel. The first season was 12 episodes long. Pen provides the voice of the computer.
The series centers on four teenagers named Chris, Beth, Wallow, and Danny. They go on many adventures and meet many different characters, similarly to Finn and Jake on Adventure Time.
There has also been a KaBoom! comic that releases issues monthly.
Frederator is posting early production information on its Bravest Warriors blog.
In 2011, Pen and Natasha Allegri created a short parody animation called "Pikapew Poop Chu!" that they posted on YouTube.
Pen has been involved in the production of two albums by the Lapfox alias Renard,A PICTURE OF FINN FARTING and ROBOT BRAINSTRONAUT BLASTOFF!!! , and is featured in several tracks between them. Pen also did the artwork for A PICTURE OF FINN FARTING via a note sent to him by Renard.
Episodes voiced in
This article or section is in the process of being built or revamped. If you have anything to contribute then please, make helpful contributions or wait for this banner to be removed, or post about it on the talk page, especially if you would like to discuss it first and report edit progress. Please use the talk page.
- "Trouble in Lumpy Space": Lumpy Space Princess
- "Prisoners of Love": Lumpy Space Princess
- "Ricardio the Heart Guy": Lumpy Space Princess
- "Business Time": Lumpy Space Princess, Business Man #4
- "My Two Favorite People": Cloud Person, Universal Translated Lady Rainicorn
- "Memories of Boom Boom Mountain": Marauder, Mountain Woman
- "Evicted!": Singer
- "His Hero": Lumpy Space Princess, Citizen
- "It Came from the Nightosphere": Lumpy Space Princess
- "The Eyes": Lumpy Space Princess, Guy
- "Loyalty to the King": Lumpy Space Princess, Ghost Princess
- "Summer Showers": Lumpy Space Princess
Episodes worked on
Written and Storyboarded
- "Prisoners of Love"
- "The Enchiridion! (episode)"
- "My Two Favorite People"
- "Freak City"
- "Rainy Day Daydream"
- "Dad's Dungeon"
- "James Baxter the Horse"
- "Bad Timing"
- He is 2 months and 5 days older than JG Quintel.
- Forbes Magazine named him as one of the "30 under 30" people in entertainment.
- Pen occasionally takes over in some animatics (e.g., "BMO Noire").
- Pendleton appears as a hostage you can rescue in the 2013 Run-and-Gun game Mercenary Kings by Tribute Games.
- He appears in the mission X-File under the "Corporal" rank. You can rescue him, but it is not required to complete the mission.
- In the Adventure Time game Candy Scramble, one of the players on team Lumpy Space Princess is named Bueno, a reference to Bueno the Bear.
- Pendleton Ward's Website
- Pendleton Ward's Twitter
- Pendleton Ward's Tumblr
- Pendleton Ward's Facebook - He rarely uses it, however.
- Pendleton Ward's YouTube
- Interview with Pendleton Ward on Animation World Network
- Bravest Warriors Facebook
- Bravest Warriors Videos
- Bravest Warriors Wiki
- Animation Pals tumblr
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://www.awn.com/articles/2d/time-some-adventure-pendleton-ward
- ↑ Video of Comic Con panel
- ↑ http://comixpedia.com/catching_up_with_pendleton_ward
- ↑ http://archives.frederatorblogs.com/frederator_studios/2007/11/03/algebraic/
- ↑ http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/38814/toonzone-interviews-pendleton-ward-creator-of-adventure-time
- ↑ http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/adventure-time-the-trippiest-show-on-television-20141002
- ↑ http://frederator.com/about/
- ↑ http://bravestwarriors.cartoonhangover.com/post/26147363875/well-hello-there-welcome-to-our-tumblr-weve
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 http://bravestwarriors.cartoonhangover.com/post/26349031981/its-official-bravest-warriors-1-coming-in
- ↑ http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mfl45ielh/pendleton-ward-producer-28/