Prince Gumball is the gender-swapped version of Princess Bubblegum. He was originally created after the gender-swapped characters were introduced in series of drawings and comics, and then they were featured in the season 3 episode "Fionna and Cake," in which it is revealed that the characters only exist in fanfiction written by the Ice King. Like Princess Bubblegum, Prince Gumball also has his own loyal companion, Lord Monochromicorn. Just as Princess Bubblegum can understand Lady's Korean, Prince Gumball can understand Lord Monochromicorn's Morse code. Prince Gumball has shown romantic feelings for Fionna, but that was actually the Ice Queen in disguise. However, the real Prince Gumball also shows feelings for Fionna and had actually asked her out on a date.
Prince Gumball has the same color scheme as his female counterpart. He has pink skin and his hair is somewhat in a coiffe. His head is adorned with a small golden crown and a blue jewel. He wears a hot pink shirt with the top being purple along with light pink puffed sleeves and magenta slits. He also has magenta under-sleeves (accompanied by dark-pink sleeve cuffs) and a large matching collar with a small blue jewel inside a gold crest on it. He has a belt with another golden crest and a small blue jewel design on the buckle, dark-pink trousers with purple seams running down the sides, and indigo-violet dress shoes. Unlike his female counterpart, he has visible pink eyebrows. Also, when his eyes enlarge, they are shown as purple.
Prince Gumball is the beloved ruler of the Candy Kingdom. He loves almost all Candy People. He is an elegant young man who is formal and intelligent.
Fionna had shown romantic feelings for Prince Gumball. He asked her out on a date, but then Ice Queen captured him, and in his room at the palace during the Biennial Gumball Ball, he was saved by Fionna.
Lord Monochromicorn is Prince Gumball's trusty steed, like how Lady Rainicorn is Princess Bubblegum's royal steed. He transports Prince Gumball when racing Fionna and Cake. They appear to be as close as Fionna and Cake.
Ice Queen tries effortlessly to capture and marry princes. Her most targeted prince is Prince Gumball as he is her main love interest and competes with Fionna, just like how Ice King's most targeted princess is Princess Bubblegum.
Since all appearances of Marshall Lee and Gumball have been stories told by different people it is unclear if the portrayal is supposed to be consistent or if it simply varies with each author. In Five Short Tables, when Butterscoth maid mentions Gumballs "regrets", a picture of Marshall Lee appears, so it seems likely that they were close at one point (like Marceline and Bubblegum) but then grew to dislike eachother.
By Ice King
In "Fionna and Cake" Marshall does seem to be invited to the Biennial Gumball Ball. In "Five Short Tables", it was revealed when Butterscotch Butler prying on Gumball's insecurities that his biggest regret involved Marshall Lee.
Marshall Lee and Prince Gumball are shown to be about on the same terms as Princess Bubblegum and Marceline in "Bad Little Boy." Prince Gumball called Marshall Lee "uncivilized company" and went back inside when Fionna chose to talk to Marshall Lee instead of him.
By Gunter (Fionna and Cake comics)
Lee and Gumball are depicted as close friends and are stated to spend time with each other on a regular basis, often together with Fionna. Fionna thinks they are "cute pals" and in one scene she and Cake mistakenly assume that they are about to confess being a couple.
It can be assumed by their nature of being Princess Bubblegum and Marceline's male counterparts that they dated at some point in the past.
Butterscotch Butler serves as Prince Gumball's rival in a boardgame, who usually wins by accounting for his insecurities, which she reads from Gumball's unprotected diary.
Prince Gumball's bedroom
Prince Gumball's bedroom is the place where Prince Gumball presumably sleeps. Parts of the floor were destroyed when Ice Queen used her ice magic to make ice come from the floor and attack Fionna.
Prince Gumball's bed is purple with a pink bed frame. There are three purple pillows and a red blanket. It has a carpet that goes up the steps where his bed is placed. It has some candles and a flower pot. There is a door that goes to an unknown room. There is also a pink bean bag in the corner with what appears to be a ukulele laying on it, and a lamp hanging over it for light. Like a typical royal bedroom, it has two castle-like windows to each side of the bed. Near the ceiling, there are many round pink drapes, there is also one drape that extends far beyond the others. There are rose petals scattered over the room. It is unknown whether they are usually there, or if he only scattered them to "welcome" Fionna.
- Unlike Princess Bubblegum and Marceline's relationship, which in Marceline is the only one to call her by her first name, Marshall Lee is never shown to even call him by "Prince Gumball". He simply calls him either a sarcastic "your majesty" or a wad.
- His name was changed from "Prince Blowpop" to "Prince Gumball" because "Blow Pop" is a brand name.. However, the name is still used in some older comics and pictures prior to the name change.
- Not counting a technicality with Neptr, he, Lumpy Space Prince, Muscle Prince, and Prince Huge are currently the only princes to appear in the show.
- Artwork by Natasha Allegri shows that he enjoys baking, as does the fact he makes cream puffs for Fionna and Cake in "Bad Little Boy." It seems that baking is his main hobby, unlike Princess Bubblegum, who is more into science.
- Prince Gumball gender-swapped character is Princess Bubblegum.
- Fionna can easily pick up Prince Gumball.
- Ice King states in The Adventure Time Encyclopædia that Prince Gumball likes science
- It's also shown he hates him, as he calls him a buffoon when he says the Ice Queen kidnaps him. However, this may be non-canon.
- Unlike Princess Bubblegum, he has visible ears and eyebrows.
- He appears to have the same jewel as Princess Bubblegum, though unlike Princess Bubblegum's tiara, his jewel is inside of the crown.
- There was a "Pet Society" costume of Prince Gumball that is called "Vampire Boy Outfit".
- He coincidentally shares his name with Gumball Watterson from "The Amazing World of Gumball" another Cartoon Network series airing around the same time.
- He was erroneously credited as "Prince Bubblegum" in the credits for "Five Short Tables".
Appearances in other media
- Prince Gumball appears in Adventure Time Battle Party as an alternate outfit for Princess Bubblegum.
Names in other languages
- His Norwegian name is Prins Honning, which translates to Prince Honey.
- His Latin American Spanish name is Dulce Príncipe, which translates to Sweet Prince.
- His European Spanish name is Príncipe Chicle, which translates to Prince Gum or Prince Bubblegum.
- His Brazilian and Portuguese name is Principe Chiclete, which translates to Prince Gumball (Prince Bubblegum).
- His Italian name is Principe Gommorosa, which translates to Prince Pink Bubblegum or Prince Pink Chewingum.
- His Swedish name is Prins Gumball, which translates to Prince Gumball.
- His French name is Prince Boule de Gomme, which translates to Prince Gumdrop,
- His Arabic name is الأمير غامبول, which translates to Prince Gumball.
- His Turkish name is Prens Gumball, which translates to Prince Gumball.
- His Polish name is Balonowy Książę, which translates to Balloon Prince.
- His Russian name is Принц Жвачка, which translates to Prince Bubblegum.
- His Bulgarian name is принц дъвкослад, which has no direct meaning. It is a mixture from the words дъвко (which means chewing gum) and дъвка (which means after). The literal translation of the name if the two words were separated would be Prince Chewing Gum After.
- His German name is Prinz Gummball, which translates to Prince Gumball.
- His Dutch name is Prins Gombal, which translates to Prince Gumball.
- His Romanian name is Prinţul Gumball, which translates to Prince Gumball.
- His Hungarian name is Gumball Herceg , which translates to Prince Gumball.
|The full image gallery for Prince Gumball may be viewed at Prince Gumball/Gallery.|