| Season 5, episode 20|
|Airdate:||May 13, 2013|
|Director:|| Elizabeth Ito (supervising)|
Nick Jennings (art)
|Story:|| Patrick McHale|
| Written &|
"James Baxter the Horse"
"Shh!" is the twentieth episode in the fifth season of Adventure Time. It is the one hundred and twenty-fourth episode overall.
Finn and Jake decide to play a game of "who speaks first," using signs as their only means of communication, wagering that whoever talks first will be "really disappointed." They eat breakfast in the kitchen, where they encounter BMO, who plays his favorite song to them. BMO is startled when they do not speak, and thinks they are not the real Finn and Jake, so he hides in a hole in the wall, continuing to play his favorite song to calm himself down. Finn and Jake then try to communicate with BMO in many ways (with Jake entering the hole in the wall and finding various creatures there), but all without success.
Meanwhile, BMO had invited a group of Bikini Babes over to dance, and the Bikini Babes begin to cluster at the door of the Tree Fort. The Bikini Babes fly on top of the house, where they hear BMO playing his favorite song. Finn and Jake try one last time to reach BMO by using axes to chop down their kitchen wall, but they end up creating a rift in the wall that extends to the ceiling, opening it up, so the Bikini Babes fall inside. BMO appears and yells at them to attack Finn and Jake. While the Bikini Babes weakly beat up Finn and Jake, Jake cries uncle, signaling that he has lost the game. BMO then realizes that Finn and Jake were their real selves all along. The two try to explain what happened, but BMO cuts them off to say that he does not care and invite them to party. Finn, Jake, BMO and the Bikini Babes start dancing, and the Party God crash-lands through their roof to join in.
The episode ends with a dedication to the recently deceased Adventure Time storyboarder Armen Mirzaian.
- It is revealed in this episode that BMO can smell.
- Also, it seems to be attracted by the smell of technological equipment.
- The episode's title card references the scene where Finn and Jake hack into a wall to get to BMO.
- One of the pictures on BMO's sarcophagus shows a bikini babe.
- Finn's signs contained all upper-case lettering while Jake's signs contained mix-case lettering.
- The first few airings of the episode said: "Armen Mirzaian (1977–2013) Aw, C'mon!" with a picture of him at the end. Cartoon Network later took this off.
- BMO's favorite song is "No Wonder I," a song by LAKE, a band that includes Ashley Eriksson, the singer of the Adventure Time credits theme.
- A Nintendo Entertainment System is seen at the bottom of the stack of equipment which Jake takes to lure BMO out with.
- When Finn and Jake are chopping the wall with axes, Jake pokes his head through one of the cracks he made with the axe. This is a reference to the 1980 movie The Shining in which Jack attacks the door with an axe and puts his head in the hole and says "Here's Johnny!"
- Finn and Jake ripping or putting together their signs to say "BMO, we love you, we're Finn and Jake for real! We're not talking today because we're playing a game! we love you!" is similar to creating a stick up note.
- There is a picture on the golden tomb resembling the cartoon renderings of the Nickelodeon Show Ren & Stimpy. The cat on the top resembles Stimpy, and a chihuahua towards the bottom resembles Ren.
- When Finn and Jake try to bust through the wall, the note they had left for BMO disappears.
- When Finn is wielding an ax, one frame has wrong-colored. Click to see.
- This episode is dedicated to Armen Mirzaian (1977 - 2013), who died February 21, 2013. This the first episode to be dedicated in someone's memory.
- Elizabeth Ito returned to the show and was credited as "supervising director" on this episode.
- The dividing line is between "James Baxter the Horse" and "Shh!," which have production codes 1014-124 and 1014-129, respectively (between them is where the movie would have gone).