"The Real You" is the fifteenth episode in the second season of Adventure Time. It is the forty-first episode overall.
Finn and Jake are headed to the Candy Kingdom castle, where Princess Bubblegum is holding her science barbecue. They're carrying a gift Finn made for her: a scale model of the Candy Kingdom made from his own spit bubbles. Jake teases that Finn wants to trade spit with Princess Bubblegum, which embarrasses him. Outside her castle, Princess Bubblegum is setting up a stage and lighting the grill with Flambo. Finn presents his gift to her, but when she closes her eyes, she sneezes, popping the bubble sculpture. However, Princess Bubblegum thinks the pink tray it was on is actually the gift and gladly accepts it. Chet and Peppermint Butler get into an argument over who will get to be grillmeister, and accidentally knock over the grill. Finn jumps in to save the day, putting out the fire by stabbing some meat and throwing it over the flame. Impressed by his heroic actions, the princess asks him to be a speaker at her barbecue.
Finn fears that he is not smart enough to impress the princess, so he and Jake go to the library to get smarter. After trying to read books about figs and pigs, they quickly grow bored and distracted and start dancing and hollering, which causes Turtle Princess to kick them out. They then seek out Pupil Worms who run a Worm College in an old rotten apple. Finn and Jake try to sneak into a worm class. Finn disguises his finger as a worm and gives the name of "Wormy McSquirmy." The teacher says he is on the list of students but he hasn't shown up for a single class, which makes the worms angry and starts a fight. After getting out of Academia, Jake suggests the easy way out: magic. They visit Choose Goose's magical shack, where he offers to give them the Glasses of Nerdicon in exchange for being entertained. Finn entertains him with a finger puppet dance, and puts on the glasses. Finn's old perception of reality is shattered, as he instantly becomes a genius and understands the nature of space and the universe.
At the barbecue, Finn presents the Bubble creator. He shows everyone a two dimensional bubble, telling them it casts a one dimensional shadow. He then presents a three dimensional bubble, telling them it casts a two dimensional shadow. And he finally shows them a fourth-dimensional bubble which resembles a tesseract, it cast a three dimensional shadow beyond comprehension, causing time and space to later collapse and become a black hole. Finn then tells Bubblegum that he got smart by putting on the glasses, which she asks to take them off because she needs the real Finn. She takes them off, and Finn sees the black hole. He goes to destroy it, but the Bubble creator flies toward him, and he stabs it, destroying it. But, it turns his sword into a fourth dimensional sword. He then gets an idea, and lets himself get sucked in. Once he is in, the black hole explodes, and Finn comes flying out with no sword. Bubblegum then sobs over his shoulder telling him that her barbecue turned into a fiasco, but everyone cheers. She then catches Finn's list he wrote down when he had the glasses on and learns that Finn intended to "Win the heart of the Princess." When confronted about this, Finn explains how he wrote all that when he wore the glasses. Bubblegum then kisses him on the cheek, which causes him to pant heavily, and faint. When he does that, she starts to giggle. The episode then ends.
- Choose Goose
- Turtle Princess
- Peppermint Butler
- Pupil Worms
- Science Guys
- Dr. Dextrose
- Tree People
- In PB's Conference, one of the nerd guests looks like BMO but it appears in a different color.
- While setting the grill, Princess Bubblegum's T-shirt has a rainicorn on it.
- Tree Trunks' house can be seen briefly in the background of the scene when Finn and Jake are approaching the Pupil Worms' class room.
- During the zoom scenes, a full view of Earth is shown for the first time. The same image appears on Rebecca Sugar's promotional art for the episode.
- In the top rail of the library chairs, there are carved images of an owl with purple gem eyes.
- In the Pupil Worm's classroom, there was a calendar in the month of "Avril," which is French for "April."
- Finn's trademark gold sword was destroyed in this episode.
- After Finn says he is going to write a bulleted list, the Adventure Time Logo appears in the scene; however, each word is prefaced by a bullet-point and the sword is replaced by a number three pencil.
- In this episode Princess Bubblegum calls Finn "Finny" for the first and only time in the series.
- The worm professor's binder has a picture of a slice of pizza and Natasha Allegri's birth date (6/18/1986).
- Choose Goose's magical shack appears to be in a different location than it was in "Blood Under the Skin." In "Blood Under the Skin," his shack was in a large, open field, whereas in this episode, it is in a small area in the woods, enclosed by trees.
- The zoom scenes were inspired by the 1968 documentary short film Powers of Ten, which demonstrates the relative scale of objects in the universe.
- The worms' "Theoretical Fightonomics" class discusses who would win in a fight between Friedrich Nietzsche's Übermensch (also called "Superman") and Mandroid, an apparent reference to comic book nerds' enjoyment of discussing "who would win" scenarios.
- After the "Who would win?" lesson, the worms move to attack Finn and Jake because "Wormy McSquirmy" had not shown up for a single class. One of the worms wearing glasses and charging with a ruler says "Excelsior!" which is the catchphrase of Stan Lee. He used it at the end of every "Bullpen Bulletins" section in Marvel Comics.
- The four-dimensional bubble resembles a tesseract, a projection of a four-dimensional hypercube.
- The bubble is a 3D computer graphic object rendered in its wire-frame mode.
- When Finn says "We are all born to die," he is referring to the body's method of handling death or near-death experiences, particularly the theory that the brain produces the hallucinogenic compound dimethyltryptamine (DMT) in near-death situations, as Finn himself explains in the episode.
- A full view of Earth is similar to the Universal logo, only the difference is the chunk was never seen.
- The coal used by Princess Bubblegum has an image of a person holding a red flag and bull, and is branded Coalé. This is a play on "Olé," a Spanish expression used to cheer that is commonly associated with bullfighting.
- When Finn wears the Glasses of Nerdicon, some atomic models are shown, including Neils Bohr's "Model of Atom" along with some tiny molecules like "Sugar, Oxygen, Salt, Water, etc."
- In this episode, Jake had a hard time whistling, but in the episode "The Jiggler," he whistled along with the song "Baby" perfectly.
- While Finn is blowing the 2D bubble, the Bubble creator is set to 3D.
- When Princess Bubblegum addressed Finn about the barbecue's time, she said, "See you tonight." However, the barbecue happened at daytime.
- After Princess Bubblegum sneezes on Finn's creation, the tray is much smaller.
- When Finn blew the 4th dimensional bubble, it was actually a tesseract which is a 4th dimensional cube, a 4th dimensional sphere is called a hypersphere.
This episode was censored in some countries. See Censorship of Adventure Time for more information.
|See Full Storyboard|
- ↑ http://www.spring.me/MrMuto/q/284537043445360882
- ↑ http://archives.frederatorblogs.com/adventure_time/2011/02/15/rebeccas-real-you-re-cap/
- ↑ http://adventuretime.frederator.com/post/1308314370/a-good-name-like-good-will-is-got-by-many-actions-and
- ↑ http://www.scribd.com/doc/48919340/The-Real-You-Storyboard