There's been a lot of controversy about Princess Bubblegum as a character. To be completely fair, she is fairly young, and mainly protecting her people. But she has made several insensitive, even mean, decisions during her time in the show. A lot of this (the jellyfish, torturing the Ice King, the Duke of Nuts incident) are not shipping-related, but a lot of it (insensitively rejecting Finn) is shipping related. But perhaps the most logical reason a few fans have for disliking PB is her mistreatment of her "special" creation/son.
Hear me out here- I think that PB was WAY too hard on Lemongrab. Sure; LG is a tyrannical jerk, but her mistreatment towards him pretty much dwarfs every bad decision he's ever made.
- Deciding to make him in the first place, knowing that something could possibly go horribly wrong.
- Gawking him as he panicked, instead of immediately comforting him.
- Sticking him in an isolated castle to live a friendless life.
- Referring to him as an experiment gone wrong when he was within earshot.
- Causing him physical pain, which made him cry and scream.
- Assigning him with a task he was obviously not capable of performing well.
- Blaming him when he did a terrible job ruling, even though he obviously isn't used to being alive.
- Firing him rudely and insulting him, when all he did was try to do his job the only way he knew how.
- Visibly acting ashamed of him when speaking about him to Finn.
- Deciding to have him be raised by servants, who ended up spoiling him so badly he didn't know where food came from.
- Naming him Lemongrab. I mean... seriously. What kind of a name is Lemongrab?!
Sure he's a butt, but I don't think he deserved all of that.
What do you think? Please comment and discuss!