|Species|| Vampire (formerly)|
|Introduced in||"Everything Stays"|
|Latest appearance||"The Dark Cloud"|
|Voiced by||Billy Brown|
The Vampire King has the appearance of a large, muscular man with animalistic features, including a face resembling a lion's, scaled, reptilian hands, birdlike feet and a forked tongue like a snake. He wears a white suit, a wine-red cape and a crown resembling the branches of a tree or bush. Jake describes him to look like a stop sign coming out of a loaf of bread.
After his vampiric essence was extracted at the end of Checkmate, he was divided into two beings: His mortal self was restored to its original form as a seemingly mundane lion, while his vampiric essence became a cloud monster resembling a lion with long, spindly legs and snakes growing out of his head.
After Marceline absorbed the cloud with her demonic powers, the Vampire King appeared to Marceline as a mental projection, appearing as a miniature version of his vampiric self.
Despite being the ruler of vampires, the Vampire King has an odd, somewhat eccentric and silly demeanor. He appears to like animals a lot, and is seen dancing with a cow shortly after his return. He is also accompanied by several animals throughout the mini-series.
He is not without a darker side, as he acted considerably vengeful and cruel after Marceline had killed all of his fellow vampires in the past. As a sort of punishment, as well as an attempt to continue his species, he bit Marceline just before he was destroyed. In the current time, he seems apathetic to being a vampire and later admits to wishing to be rid of his vampirism. He also doesn't appear to care much about his fellow vampire brethren, as he made no attempt to stop them from going on their own.
His pure, vampire cloud-like half appears to be largely mindless and violent, seeming only to desire to consume and turn others into vampires. His mortal lion half, on the other hand, appears to be just a normal animal.
Powers and Abilities
As a vampire:
- Levitation - Like Marceline and The Fool, the Vampire King is capable of levitation which he uses in both of his past and present day battles with Marceline.
- Telekinesis - The Vampire King demonstrates telekinesis.
- Hydrokinesis - The Vampire King is shown to be capable of manipulating water.
- Telepathy - The Vampire King was able to read Peppermint Butler's mind.
- Teleportation/Blinking - The Vampire King demonstrates the ability to either teleport short distances or move extremely quickly.
- Psychic Autograph - The Vampire King was able to use his psychic abilities to autograph Peppermint Butler's book.
- Vampire Creation - The Vampire King can transform humans and animals into vampires.
As the cloud:
- Wind Generation - The Dark Cloud could generate powerful winds.
- Vampire Creation - The Dark Cloud bites Marceline and turns her into a vampire while she is trying to absorb him.
After being absorbed by Marceline:
- Mental Projection - After being devoured by Marceline, the dark cloud half of the Vampire King was able to communicate with Marceline telepathically and appear to her as a miniature version of his former self.
- Jake described him as "an angry stop sign coming out of a loaf of bread."
- He is playing a Harmonica in "Vamps About".
- He is based off of the tenth tarot card, Wheel of Fortune, which represent change and taking action, as that change is inevitable and we don't always have have control on our path, but we can decide how to respond. Similarly, the Vampire King accepted that the times changed and being a vampire is no longer worth and asked for Marceline to help to remove his vampire juices. It also represent destiny, as it could be interpreted it was Marceline's destiny to remain a vampire for the rest of her life. The same thing can be interpreted with the reversed form of this card, that represent lacking control, setbacks, confusion, ongoing struggle, as well bad luck, all talking about Marceline's being unable to change her status as a vampire, even after going all the trouble to defeat all the vampires once more, as she didn't made any progress but moved back to where she was. Another connection to Wheel of Fortune, many of the creatures that appear in the card are represented in Vampire King's body, such as a lion (head), a human (torso), a bird (feet) and a snake (hands), as well the Sphinx, which is a mix of all those beings.
- He is the one who turned Marceline into a vampire.