|"What Have You Done?"|
| Season 1, episode 24|
|Airdate:||September 13, 2010|
|Story:|| Merriwether Williams|
| Written &|
| Elizabeth Ito|
"Rainy Day Daydream"
"What Have You Done?" is the twenty-fourth episode in the first season of Adventure Time. It is the twenty-fourth episode overall.
Finn and Jake are seen in the Ice Kingdom at night, trying to avoid some Guard Penguins wielding Ice Axes. Finn says that their secret mission to capture the Ice King is underway, and then says he probably should not say that stuff out loud. The Ice King is seen in his depressed mode playing with a heart puzzle on his bed. Finn rings Ice King's doorbell and Ice King appears to confront the guest. At first Ice King tries zapping, but then realizes no one is there. He notices that a small can of peanut brittle was left on his doorstep. Ice King opens the can and suddenly, Jake springs out of the can and grab his crown. Ice King attempts to shoot them but he is unable to, because his crown has all his powers in it. Finn yells out "Wrap attack!!" and ties up Ice King with a rope. Jake asks why they did this again, and Finn says Princess Bubblegum explained it all, but was not very precise. They return with Ice King to the Candy Kingdom, which seems to be deserted. Princess Bubblegum arrives wearing a plague doctor mask and spraying a green fog everywhere. She takes them to a wall with a face on it and the face asks for the password. Bubblegum then pinches the face's cheek, and the wall suddenly turns into a door.
Princess Bubblegum says that the door leads to the dungeon where they would put the Ice King. Before Princess Bubblegum can have a chance to explain what exactly it was that Ice King did, she is called to the Grand Hall by Manfreid. Finn and Jake decide to guard the Ice King until she returns.
Finn and Jake throw Ice King in a jail cell, with only two bars, but then add more. Jake looks at Ice King's crown and says it was probably stolen, but Ice King states that he made it with the magic that he stole. Ice King begins to tell the two that he is innocent, and that he hasn't committed a recent crime in a while and did not deserve to be here, however Jake disagrees. Ice King shows them a mirror (which was broken repeatedly after Ice King accidentally slammed it on the ground) explaining that they were the true jerks and they deserved to be in jail. Finally, Finn is convinced and decides to let Ice King go. At first Ice King thinks it is a trick, but later decides to go along with it. Finn and Jake state that since they're the bad guys this time, they have to go to jail. Ice King gets his crown, opens a magic door, and escapes. Princess Bubblegum then walks into the dungeon and puts on a pair of pink gloves for interrogation. But when she turns around and sees Finn and Jake in jail, she gets irritated when Finn tells her that they let Ice King go.
The Princess takes the two to the grand hall where they see all the candy people lying in beds embedded in ice. Princess Bubblegum explains that Ice King kind of did this and kind of did not. 3 days ago, the Ice King wanted to show off his new trick to the princess by making snow from his beard but everyone became infected with Freezer Burn Flu. Princess Bubblegum said Ice King did not mean to cause the disease, and she learned that the only way to cure it was to obtain the "sad howls" of Ice King himself. But, when she begged to Ice King to help, he thought she was hitting on him. So she knew the only way to take the Ice King's howls was by force, that's why she told Finn and Jake to capture him.
Finn says he just cannot beat people up for nothing because it is against his alignment, but he promises he will find a way to save the Candy Kingdom. Princess Bubblegum thanks him, but she almost bursts into tears under all of the stress, so Finn calms her. Then Finn and Jake head back to the Ice Kingdom to obtain the howls.
When Finn and Jake enter, Ice King comes out and asks if they want to participate in game night, because he now thinks that Finn and Jake are his best friends for letting him go. But when Finn tells Ice King to howl, he says he could not possibly howl without giggling. Ice King walks over to Finn and says that there was a bug on him, which in reality was just Jake, only smaller. Ice King hits Finn, wanting him to get the "bug" off. Finn gets an idea on this and pretends he is dead. Showing guilt, Ice King picks up Finn's body and howls extremely loudly that it reached all the way to the Candy Kingdom, curing all of the inhabitants. When Princess Bubblegum sees that her people are getting healthy, she faints of happiness. Ice King then drops Finn and walks away. Finn says that was a mean thing to do and Jake says that if he came across Finn's lifeless body he would "clasp him dramatically for a kajillion years." Finn then plays dead and Jake carries him and wails back to the Candy Kingdom.
- Lady Rainicorn
- Candy People
- As written in the storyboard, the password that Princess Bubblegum uses to gain entrance to the dungeon is "ttubllaw." Reversed, it is "wallbutt."
- Princess Bubblegum said, in German, "Ich bin so glücklich! Ich könnte... Ich könnte..." (in English: "I'm so happy! I could... I could...") and passes out before she could finish.
- Phil Face appears on a pot that Finn turns around.
- On the book Princess Bubblegum reads about curing the Freezer Burn Flu, there is "5318008" written on the left page, which is the numerical equivalent of the word "Boobies", but written backwards.
- As Finn says "On your feet" to the Ice King, the Ice King carves "I.L.P.B." inside a heart on the cell wall, presumably meaning "I love Princess Bubblegum".
- In the flashback showing the Candy people getting sick from touching Ice King's beard flakes, the green gumdrop eats the flakes, then immediately his eyes and mouth turn red, and he falls over with X's on his eyes. This most likely means that he died from ingesting the flakes, while the others merely touched them and became ill.
- This is the first episode which showed Ice's King buttcheeks outlined in his robe. The second one is "Hitman."
- The fumigation suit the Princess is wearing is modeled after a plague doctor costume, which was worn by doctors during the Black Death. Although, being Princess Bubblegum, the typical black was changed to pink.
- The "Oculus of Rehabilitation" character guarding the Ice King is a reference to the philosopher Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon.
- There are several more references to Dungeons & Dragons in this episode. Ice King casts "Detect Secret Doors" when leaving the dungeon, a classic spell from the game. At one point Finn says that keeping the Ice King captive is against his alignment, which is a morality system in the game.
- The box that contains the Ice King's board game reads, "Poots and Bladders," a play off of the game "Chutes and Ladders."
- Ice King says about his crown "I made that crown, made it with magic that I stole!" However, in the episode "Holly Jolly Secrets Part II," on the last tape BMO plays, Simon Petrikov (Ice King) says he had purchased from an old dock worker.
- After smashing the mirror in his prison, Ice King is holding two shards of the mirror but in the next scene is only holding one.
- This is proved to be an error due to no sound effect being created during the transition of scenes.
- In the first shot when Ice King is holding up the mirror before it shatters, Finn is on the left and Jake is on the right. However, when Ice King is holding up the mirror shard again, Jake is on the left and Finn is on the right.
- Just before releasing Ice King when Finn says "On your feet," his mouth does not move.
- When Finn and Jake are in the Ice King's cell, the mirror he smashed is still leaning up against the cot.
- While Ice King was flying away from the Candy Kingdom, his eyes appear as black dots instead of white eyes.
- In the same scene, he appears to be flying away without using his beard or hair to fly.
- Several times during the episode, Ice King's crown jewels are pink instead of red.
- This episode was previously titled "Ice King Has a Point." The Frederator blog reported that "Ice King Has a Point" had the production code 692-027, replacing a canceled episode with production code 692-006.
- Princess Bubblegum's medicine book depicts Ice King's wails of pain directed to possible candy people, implying that Freezer Burn Flu has happened before.
- The Ice King claimed he got his crown with the power he stole. This is later proven wrong in "Holly Jolly Secrets Part II," when Simon Petrikov states that he purchased the crown. The reason for Ice King thinking otherwise is explained even further in "I Remember You," where it is revealed that he has almost no memory of his past life.
|See Full Storyboard|